Experience with repair of curbed Tera world front wheel?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john41

The front wheel of my Tera world just got fairly noticeably curbed. I may just end up living with the scratches, but I was wondering if anybody had i3 wheels refinished, and if yes, how noticeable the repair was afterwards, and how expensive it was. Alternatively, does anybody have any idea of the cost of a 19'' front wheel replacement on a Tera world (besides, "expensive" :( ).

How bad of curb job is it? You might want to post an image or two.

I clipped mine on a curb and had it repaired for $120 by a mobile service that came to my house at 7:00am. You can't tell anything was ever done to it. If you happen to be in the SF Bay Area I can recommend a company, but I am sure there is a similar service in your area.

Mine is a Tera wheel as well.

Isn't it clever how BMW have designed the car so that the rim contacts the curb before the tire? Programming the self-parking to use the rim as a curb feeler is what really makes it the Ultimate Driving Machine IMHO though..... ;)

WoodlandHills said:
Isn't it clever how BMW have designed the car so that the rim contacts the curb before the tire? Programming the self-parking to use the rim as a curb feeler is what really makes it the Ultimate Driving Machine IMHO though..... ;)
Typical, cynical comment by this poster...lots of tire/wheel combinations have the same problem. People knock BMW for using RFT on other models, but those typically do tend to protect the rim a bit more. Hit any curb with a wheel, don't care what tire/wheel combination you have, and you can damage not only the wheel but the tire as well.

Also, depends on the tires. Some come with rim protection and some not, in the same size.

Perhaps that is a BMW spec, or maybe it is a Bridgestone spec. Who knows?

We seem to be down to the last hater, even though his tire noise is fixed...

BMW tires, those with the five-pointed star molded into the sidewall, are an indication that the tire manufacturer customized the tire for BMW, so that tire is what BMW wanted. A wheel protection lip adds weight, and they reviewed every option to avoid even a few grams here and there. So, IMHO, it was a decision of theirs. Now, you could argue the same thing about the bumper if you misjudged a pole or another car, or who knows what, including any part of the car. You are expected to have the skill to keep from hitting something.

jadnashuanh said:
BMW tires, those with the five-pointed star molded into the sidewall, are an indication that the tire manufacturer customized the tire for BMW, so that tire is what BMW wanted. A wheel protection lip adds weight, and they reviewed every option to avoid even a few grams here and there. So, IMHO, it was a decision of theirs. Now, you could argue the same thing about the bumper if you misjudged a pole or another car, or who knows what, including any part of the car. You are expected to have the skill to keep from hitting something.

You live in New Hampshire not a Mega-City. How would you know, do you visit the city once in a while?

We live in the close-in suburbs and go to downtown LA all the time, our i3 lives in the mega-city this car was designed for. And this is what we know about i3 wheels: If you use the BMW self-park system on a daily basis as my wife does, you will have curbed wheels. If you make one single error when parallel parking multiple times a day over the time of your lease, you will have curbed wheels. If you valet your car, you will have curbed wheels. For whatever the reason my other cars do not do this. Buy the insurance or a can of silver spray paint.......

Weight savings....Really? And how much range improvement did that yield in exchange for having to replace both curbside rims (at our expense) before we return our leased vehicle? Did it pay for two rims?

You're missing most of the point...BMW chose the wheels and tires on the i3 for whatever reason. I have no insight into the exact reason, but overall efficiency was one of the major design goals. They intentionally used plastic body panels to help avoid door dings, but those are caused by other people's actions, not your own. Dinging a wheel, or scraping the fender or bumper is normally in YOUR control, and the German mentality, at least from what I saw when I lived there, is that driving is a skill, and you don't hit things, so the other aspects of the design are more critical. The car can't protect you from everything.

BTW, I've been to LA lots of times...was there a few months ago. I didn't ding any wheels in the process, and I do live in a city, and do drive my i3 almost exclusively here while saving my ICE for longer trips or when I need more room. Boston traffic can be as congested as LA's, although not as big...still, you can have 8-lanes of stop and go traffic, and at least in LA, many of the streets are fairly straight...in Boston, many of them are paved cow paths from the 1600's and narrow, tree-lined. Nashua isn't all that far from Boston, and is in itself a nice city. Certainly not in the scale as LA, but then, there aren't many cities that are.

Lots of cars use wheels and tires that can be scraped on curbs...you are expected to be a good enough driver to avoid that from happening. The parallel parking routine in the car goes slow enough so if you're watching your mirrors, you can see a problem coming and stop. The manual describes when that system can have problems...you need to learn to detect them, since the car can't, or you can do it the old fashioned way, yourself!

TheNickGuy said:

I clipped mine on a curb and had it repaired for $120 by a mobile service that came to my house at 7:00am. You can't tell anything was ever done to it. If you happen to be in the SF Bay Area I can recommend a company, but I am sure there is a similar service in your area.

The surface of the wheel got scratched as well, not just the edge of the rim, so who knows how easy it would be to refinish... I wouldn't mind the contact info of the company you used to ask them for their opinion.

A quality company can make the wheel look like new, even with the scratches. Depending on how deep, it could become a structural issue, and then, all bets are off. Any signs that it may have been bent in the process? That's harder to fix on a forged wheel.

So I'm still trying to get a recommendation for a place that could resurface my wheel in the SF Bay Area. Would anybody here have a suggestion?

Sorry man, I owed you a reply that I completely forgot about. Please accept my apologizes.

As I stated in a previous post, I also curbed my Tera wheel. You wouldn't know it by looking at it though because I got it repaired by:
http://www.curbsidewheelrepair.com/

They are mobile and come to you, anywhere in the Bay Area. He showed up at my house and had it done in a half hour before work.

He explained the way that he fixes it, it needs polishing and is noticeable right after completion. After a couple hundred miles and a couple washes it isn't noticeable at all, it's like it never happened.

Good luck!

john41 said:
TheNickGuy said:

The surface of the wheel got scratched as well, not just the edge of the rim, so who knows how easy it would be to refinish... I wouldn't mind the contact info of the company you used to ask them for their opinion.

Also, I had a nick in the surface as well, two actually. He was able to clean those up to, no sweat.

TheNickGuy said:
Sorry man, I owed you a reply that I completely forgot about. Please accept my apologizes.

As I stated in a previous post, I also curbed my Tera wheel. You wouldn't know it by looking at it though because I got it repaired by:
http://www.curbsidewheelrepair.com/

They are mobile and come to you, anywhere in the Bay Area. He showed up at my house and had it done in a half hour before work.

He explained the way that he fixes it, it needs polishing and is noticeable right after completion. After a couple hundred miles and a couple washes it isn't noticeable at all, it's like it never happened.

Good luck!

Interesting... I actually contacted curbsidewheelrepair and sent them a picture yesterday. They told me they could not match the finish of the i3 Tera wheels because they were machined, and that I would need to get them re finished and polished at a wheel shop equipped for this kind of work. Not sure what the difference with your wheels is :roll:

Happy to find this thread. Did all end well with the wheel repair?

I curbed my front right Tera wheel this week. Surface scratches, nothing more. Visited the repair service recommended by my dealer (BMW of Darien, CT). Vendor said there's no way to repair the Tera World wheel, due to the finish being 'pure metal'. After asking if they know of other shops that might attempt it and indicating I'd previously been responsible for repairs to clients steel kitchen appliances, steel watches, aluminum, brass and bronze furniture, nearly all of which were completed perfectly. They let me know they'd sell me a replacement wheel at cost. We parted amicably but I was not yet convinced. Headed to a shop in Stamford that's associated with a nice little car collection in Bedford, they quoted $200 saying the wheel would go to 'our guy on Long Island, he only does aluminum and steel wheels' but warned the new machined grain might be slightly noticeable from certain angles, but would guarantee 99% perfection. Felt ok about that although it's not the $120 from the Bay Area vendor mentioned in the thread. Waiting on bid number two from a mobile service recommended by several wheel vendors. Once complete I'll report back.

Images before:
https://selbstverstandlichkeit.tumblr.com/post/158813302766/curb-damage-tera-world-wheels

Back