Automatic door lock?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent

The doors automatically unlock when I pull the handle if I have the key fob in my pocket.

However, I cannot find a setting to make the doors automatically lock when I walk far enough away from the car. Is it missing this feature?

(USA i3, giga world, all the options except bumpier ride tires)

-Brent

If its like a normal BMW with - whats called ‘Comfort Access’ in the UK - then you can unlock the doors just by touching the handle and the car will start with the joey in your pocket. To lock the car you have to touch the handle when you leave. However, using the iDrive you should be able to set an option for the car to lock after a set period.

Not missing. As MikeS noted, you have the comfort access feature. It's included in the US Giga and Tera trim levels. As you have discovered, the door handle is touch sensitive. When the key fob is on you, you can unlock by touching the back of the door handle. To lock, you touch the ridged area on the front of the handle. Be careful not to grip the handle when attempting to lock this way because you can inadvertently trigger the unlock action right after you've locked. Also note that your body can interfere with the proximity sensor. I normally keep my key in my right front pocket. If I have my left side facing the door handle, the sensor sometimes won't detect the key and the vehicle doesn't lock. Pivoting so my right leg is towards the door fixes that.

The i3, like many vehicles with remote lock/unlock, locks itself after a time delay. Details are in the owner's manual but I can't recall them right now. (Manual is in car, six floors down; BMW has yet to make the US version available as a PDF yet.)

stumbledotcom said:
Also note that your body can interfere with the proximity sensor. I normally keep my key in my right front pocket. If I have my left side facing the door handle, the sensor sometimes won't detect the key and the vehicle doesn't lock. Pivoting so my right leg is towards the door fixes that.

In both my Z4 and my X1 I could keep my key in my golf bag when it was next to the car and still use the lock unlock function successfully.

According to the UK manual one of the settings is "Automatic Relock" after a time. There is no mention of how long that is. So it is possible to set that.

On those that I've played with, it will only autolock itself during driving, if you select that, or if you unlock the car, but never open a door, it will relock itself. IOW, at least on mine, it will never autolock the vehicle after you exit unless you tell it to you.

There is an actual key lock on the driver's door, but you have to pop the plastic cover open on the handle to access it. They show you how to do that in the manual, both in the car and in the paper one. Are you referring to the fob as having broken down, or the actual key that is inside of the fob (press the release button to remove it) or the lock in the door?

jadnashuanh said:
There is an actual key lock on the driver's door, but you have to pop the plastic cover open on the handle to access it. They show you how to do that in the manual, both in the car and in the paper one. Are you referring to the fob as having broken down, or the actual key that is inside of the fob (press the release button to remove it) or the lock in the door?
Jim, you're wasting your time replying to KateKitty91 whose only post was to spam a locksmith Website. KateKitty91 almost certainly doesn't own an i3. I've reported KateKitty91 for spamming this forum, so hopefully the administrators will do the right thing.

alohart said:
Jim, you're wasting your time replying to KateKitty91 whose only post was to spam a locksmith Website. KateKitty91 almost certainly doesn't own an i3. I've reported KateKitty91 for spamming this forum, so hopefully the administrators will do the right thing.

I took care of the Kitty :D

ynnas28 said:
I have a US manual. Can you tell me what section is the "automatic relock"?
Automatic relock only works if you unlock the car, but do not open one. The default timer relocks the door in about 2-minutes.

If you don't have it, you might want to download the electronic version which is much easier to search. You can get it from the BMW website, but you'll need your VIN, as it is somewhat customized for that.

Back