Involontary window open

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lturcotte

Hi

The other day, when i was leaving.
Press the start button to start the car,
Press the parking brake to release it, and both windows opens, but brake did not released
pressed a second time and brake released.

Also, Yesterday, plug the car at home , go inside and a bit later check the phone apps to check charge time
the apps show a window is open,.
went back to the car and both windows are down.

has anybody had a similar experience. ?

the only other minor issue I have is the CEL coming on from time to time. but did not use the REX yet.
other then that , the car is great.

Laurent

If you press and hold the unlock button on the key fob for several seconds, the windows will roll down automatically.

It's possible that the unlock button could have been pressed while the key fob was in your pocket.

This happened to me while driving once. The car suddenly unlocked, and then after a few seconds the windows rolled down. I was rather panicked until I figured out the cause!

...can imagine that...
But you US customers want that panic button :)
Here in peaceful Europe we have a nice programmable button at that position.

Personally, I could easily live without the panic button, but since most other manufacturers here offer it, BMW follows.

As an aside, since I'm driving the i3 more than my GT, I was doing some laundry last night, and then noticed that my GT's alarm was running...it took awhile to figure out what was going on...the remote was in a pocket of my shorts in the machine...once it dried out, it all works, but it took a moment trying to find the silly thing to shut off the alarm! Not sure if it was just the water, or that the tumbling in the washer was mashing the button, but in either case, it survived the washing machine! Not something I'd recommend you try, though. I'm not going to experiment on the i3's remote, but it if happens, I'll let you know the results.

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable this feature? I've encountered it a few times and it's highly annoying especially when you've parked outside on a cold day. I'm afraid it's going to happen on a rainy day at some point and I'm going to come back to a soaked car.

Something like this supposedly helps:
http://www.amazon.com/BMW-i-KEY-COVER/dp/B00KXEMT3E

Or a small hard case. They do make some neat walletfold leather notebook looking things too.
I can't tell you how many times the first few days I put the key in my jeans pocket and activated something.

This has happened to me a couple of times. Once both windows were partially down and the other time only one of the windows was fully down. It could have happened from the fob unlock being pressed and held accidentally while in my pocket but I would have also needed to be within range for the fob to use this feature. Also if this was the case, why was only one window open when it happened once?

This is one of the mysteries of driving a car that's so driven by software. Was that glitch that just happened a software glitch/bug or did I or something else do something to create this strange behavior? I've had to ask myself this question a few times about abnormal behavior from the car. Love the car and features but I believe I'll always be dealing with a software bug, new or old.

I thought you could change the function of the panic button through coding. I don't have my i3 or cable yet (both due next week) but that's one I plan to change.

Of course that doesn't fix the problem of inadvertent button press, just the consequences when doing it.

Back