Weighty issues

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSATLBA

I was looking at the online spec sheet to see exactly how much weight the REx adds when an apparent anomaly in the laden/unladen weights caught my eye. For the REx they are quoted as 1390/1730 kgs, a difference of only 340. That would have meant that four like me in the car (4x95=380) would be an overload of 40kg, not even the weight that BMW are going to extract from my wallet on delivery would be enough to save the day.

The next thing to stand out was that my calculated payload of 340 didn't agree with the figure of 415 on the spec sheet until I discovered that most EU manufacturers, especially Germans, include a 75kg 'driver' in the unladen weight.

But I also came across something quite bizarre, the UK Govt defines the weight of an electric vehicle as (https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained):

The unladen weight of any vehicle is the weight of the vehicle when it’s not carrying any passengers, goods or other items.
It includes the body and all parts normally used with the vehicle or trailer when it’s used on a road.
It doesn’t include the weight of the fuel or, if it’s an electric vehicle, the batteries.

What a peculiar idea. We might be able to set off in an ICE with an almost empty fuel tank but I'd like to see anyone set off in an EV with only a tiny fraction of the battery pack!

Back