240v charging question.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoopycr

Hi there,

Newbie to the EV cars, charging and everything associated with it.

If I want Level 2 charging that means I have to install a EVSE hardware. Since I'm renting I don't want to install a permanent charging station at home. Does this mean as long as I have a 240v outlet, I can just purchase a portable unit/cable plug it in.

How long is the charging time?

Is that the only option I have with a 240v outlet at home?

Thanks!

The car can take up to 32A at 240vac. IF you have an electric dryer outlet near enough, that will work. If you have an EVSE that power rating, it will take somewhere between 3.5-4hours to recharge from nearly empty, and less otherwise (depending on temperature - colder, longer). In the USA, it comes with a level 1 EVSE at a max of 12A, and that can take up to 20-hours to get a full charge. Cord length on it is about 18'.

Not all EVSE units can provide that much power, and some can provide more, but the car won't use it (won't harm the car).

At least one company makes an extension cord for the EVSE outlet, and that may solve your location issue, but it is not particularly cheap - heavy gauge wire isn't cheap.

snoopycr said:
Hi there,

If I want Level 2 charging that means I have to install a EVSE hardware. Since I'm renting I don't want to install a permanent charging station at home. Does this mean as long as I have a 240v outlet, I can just purchase a portable unit/cable plug it in.

Thanks!
Sounds like you're one of the few folks that would benefit from a TurboCord: http://evsolutions.avinc.com/turbocord

At 16 amps/240 volts, it charges at about half the amperage of a 30 or 32 amp EVSE, taking twice as long - probably less than 8 hours for a full charge (website claims 5.8). Pricey, too.

Advantages are that it is portable, charges ~2.5 times as quickly as the included 12 amp / 120 volt Occasional Use Cable, and can plug in to a standard 20 amp 240 volt receptacle or a 30 amp dryer outlet. The more powerful EVSEs cannot.

If you are handy, the most economical one out there (and it is portable) is the Juicebox:

http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/44-emw-juicebox-level-2-15kw-ev-charging-station-kit-or-assembled-unit

It even goes up to 60amps, and can be had for only around $350.

snoopycr said:
Hi there,

Thanks!

Unlikely - I have a charging point being installed at home next month, they are taking it from a 40A breaker in the garage and installing extra earthing outside. If your landlord won't allow this (he might, there's funding available and it adds value) I think in the UK your only option is 3 pin socket and 7 hour charge.

Hi, I would like to import an i3 from America to Israel the voltage in Israel is 220v will it be able to charge from the wall at 220v ?
What to I have to ask check before i purchase it? I am looking at the 2016 EV only version....

Thanks.

Wave said:
Hi, I would like to import an i3 from America to Israel the voltage in Israel is 220v will it be able to charge from the wall at 220v ?
What to I have to ask check before i purchase it? I am looking at the 2016 EV only version....

Thanks.
220/240vac only means that the car will charge slightly slower since the amount of power = volts * amps...if you drop the volts, the power available drops, too.

The issue you might have is the power plug on the EVSE. A cheap convertor plug adapter would likely melt. Worst case, if the plug is different, you cut the old plug off (or the whole cord, if you car to take the unit apart, but that might void the warranty), and install the right one. If you buy a unit designed to be hard-wired into the supply, then it should work. A US spec car will come with a 120vac EVSE and that will NOT work properly when plugged into a 220vac circuit. You'd have to buy a US style EVSE, not one from Europe. Your best bet may to a unit designed to be hardwired, then, you could still put whatever plug on it you wanted. You'd want to double-check that it is spec'ed to work on 50Hz, but I don't think that's normally an issue (but the EVSE does have an internal power supply - most are 50/60Hz capable, though, but do check).

Just was to clarify, the car will be going from the USA to Israel or from 120v > 220v ....

I thought that the small stage 1 charger that comes with the car is just basically a cable and that the switching happens in the car ?
Could you recommend a cheap charger for 220v 16A wall charger ?

maybe something like this ?

https://youtu.be/Turt1YaZncI?t=3m12s

The actual ACV to DCV needed to charge the car IS done inside of the car (unless you have access to a CCS, or DCV charging station - unlikely it would have the required plug on it to fit an American car). But, you'd have to check the actual EVSE (level 1) unit that comes with a US spec'ed car...I do not think it is a 120/240vac device. There are some. This gets a little confusing, but on a US spec'ed car, there are three ways to charge it:
- a level 1 EVSE (in the USA, that means a 120vac device)
- a level 2 EVSE (again, in the USA, that means a 240vac device)
- a CCS, or DC output device (which may or may not be in an earlier i3 model as it was optional in the start).

So, yes, the car can accept either 120 or 240vac (and that can vary some, like say 208-250vac for a level 2), but unless a level 1 USA device is also capable of using a 240vac input, you cannot use it to charge the car. Inside of an EVSE, there is an acv power switch, but also a small circuit board with a power supply to run safety and interlock logic...both the power switch and that logic board must be rated to use 240vac, or you could fry them. A unit sold in the USA will have one of the USA type power plugs on it...the inside of it may be identical to those sold elsewhere, but also, the EVSE MUST have the J1772 plug on it to fit the car, not the plug chosen for use in Europe.

Back