My First Month (1200 miles) Electric Costs Upstate New York

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1096

I thought I'd reproduce here a memo I sent to my Sales and Service Reps. These are rough approximations because of varying temperatures, meter read dates, etc.
Hey All, I thought you might appreciate hearing about a couple of bills that I have gotten comparing July to August auto usage.

My Nat Grid July consumption was 331 kWh (through 8/25, conveniently, i3 was delivered 8/26); [for comparison July 2013 was 403 kWh]
“ August 538 kWh (through Aug 22); [August 2013 was 351 kWh]

Ballpark, that amounts to $10 increase of total electricity service ( July $34.19 to August $44.95)

I had two 2-hour (level 2) charges 60+ miles away from home (Manchester, VT and Lake George long trips) and have accumulated 1200 miles.

My Mobil credit card was the most stark: $8—motorcycle gas (vs. $200 usual)! I have yet to fully burn a quarter tank of original delivery fill-up (1.9 gals).

I have an electrician lined up to do my Level 2 install, but it turns out I am going to have to upgrade my service to 200 amp (~$2500) and that’s significantly more than original plan, but will be 50% deductible as it includes my duplex tenant service as well. With the new faster charge service, the kWh (energy over time) will not change—just the speed of delivery (4 hours vs. 20)

Back