Locked Out Of i Remote App While On Vacation

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumbledotcom

I inadvertently discovered that not accessing the i Remote app for an extended period (while on vacation in my case) will trigger an automatic log out.

In August, I was overseas for two weeks so naturally I didn't access the i Remote app (or drive the i3) the entire time. When I launched the app upon returning, I got a message stating I'd been automatically logged out and saw a screen requiring the user name/password. Note not the PIN screen normally shown. I'd used the app daily since taking delivery in May so I had never needed that info and couldn't remember which password I'd selected during the set-up phone call. I tried several of my standard passwords but nothing worked. Requesting a password reset through the app didn't work either. Finally I called the i Concierge. Even after the rep reminded me of my password and to use ALL CAPS, I couldn't log in. I guess my repeated attempts caused the server to lock my account. The rep I spoke with couldn't solve the issue and had to elevate the case to a supervisor. He said it should take two to three business days to get my account reset. Three business days later, he called back to get more information (phone carrier, hardware and OS info) at that point he said it might be another three to five days. Sure enough, he called back several times over three to five day intervals to inform me that he was still waiting for resolution. Finally, 11 business days (August 22 to September 11, so 20 actual days including weekends and holidays) after initially reporting the issue, my account was reset and I managed to log in again.

Lesson to take away: Know your password or remind yourself what it is before you leave on an extended vacation. In the US at least, the phone reps can remind you what your password is after verifying your identity.

Back