Key FOB battery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vne

Does anyone know the battery code? Want to buy a spare battery without opening the FOB and leave in the car.

:eek:Not sure. Remove the metal key, and with a small screwdriver, carefully pry the top and bottom pieces apart. Most key fob batteries will last for several years. So you should have plenty of time.

DAZ said:
:eek:Not sure. Remove the metal key, and with a small screwdriver, carefully pry the top and bottom pieces apart. Most key fob batteries will last for several years. So you should have plenty of time.
Once you pull the metal key out of the fob, there is a groove right next to the slot where the metal key stores. The end of the metal key fits that slot perfectly, and a slight twist of the key pops the battery cover right off. Don't use a small screwdriver unless you don't mind dents in the plastic from the edge of the screwdriver.

pI7dDfvm.jpeg

for those that got a little confused (like me), you DO INDEED need to use a small screwdriver to take off the batter cover and gain access to the battery. So, the steps are: (1) remove key portion of the fob (by pressing the little button and sliding out the key); (2) small screwdriver to pop off the batter cover (I tried to attach photo...no luck....but it's right in the center of the slot where the key comes out); (3) replace battery (CR2032, 3 volts), snap cover back on, replace key. Done.

Teakettle15 said:
...you DO INDEED need to use a small screwdriver to take off the batter cover and gain access to the battery.
The tip of the physical key removed from the FOB is exactly the right size (by design of the FOB!) to split the two FOB halves apart. Using a smaller screwdriver will leave dents in the slot, and a larger screwdriver will not fit in the slot. If that key does not fit in near perfectly, then you are in the wrong slot, or your slot has already been distorted by an ill-fitting screwdriver used previously.

Not to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't recommend leaving a spare battery in the car for long periods of time. The inside of your car can get very hot from solar heating and heat is death to a battery. Considering you won't need it for a few years, my bet is it will be dead when you try to use it.
If you're concerned about your key fob battery, just change it out every few years as preventive maintenance.

FWIW, the fob doesn't need a battery in it, or at least I don't think it does, to be able to activate the car...I think there's an RFID bit in there that can be read when you hold the fob up against the specific spot near the steering wheel. You can always use the key to lock or unlock the car, but you have to pry open the cover first on the driver's door.

really good idea to have a spare battery in the car! And a small scrrewdriver to pop off the battery lid from the cheaply constructed key fob with the cheesy chrome pieces hacked in there as well. Either that or be ready to have the car towed home to your spare key, or take the trouble to go home to get a spare key and back, or take a taxi or uber to the nearest CVS, ripoff shack, walgreens, etc.

They tell you you can put the FOB near the key icon on the steering column with low battery, but that did not work in my case.

The German designers are SUPER-RETARTED in that they do not have an emergency operating procedure. I was stuck once. Now I have a spare battery in the car. You may need a swiss army knife with scissors or box cutters to open the battery packaging from CVS. Porsche made similar retarded design decisions. Just look at the front trunk release!

When my car tells me the key fob battery needs changing i have always used it for days afterwards without a problem so did you ignore the warnings?
I use the manual key in the fob that you remove as part of the battery changing procedure to open the fob - no screwdriver etc needed. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRwXXChDrtg about 55 sec in.

moezilla said:
They tell you you can put the FOB near the key icon on the steering column with low battery, but that did not work in my case.
It does work, but is VERY sensitive in how exactly you hold the fob in place...read the manual. The orientation is critical. Once learned, it's easy.

Just had the low battery warning come up on my key! I remember that the last time I had this when I changed the battery the warning did not go away until the next day.

Strangely, both of my keys are showing the warning. I have changed the battery in one key and the warning has again remained. Now I will wait until tomorrow to see what happens. Anyone else get this issue?

Using the key with the new battery still showed the warning when I went out this morning. However, I locked the car with the remote (instead of using comfort) on arrival and unlocked it again with the remote when I left and the warning has not come back!

Once you pull the metal key out of the fob, there is a groove right next to the slot where the metal key stores. The end of the metal key fits that slot perfectly, and a slight twist of the key pops the battery cover right off. Don't use a small screwdriver unless you don't mind dents in the plastic from the edge of the screwdriver.
Not a good suggestion, that simply pries off the back trim that now needs to be glues back.

Take it up with BMW then as that is what is suggested in the Owner's Manual. Prying off the back cover with the key is how I have replaced the batteries twice so far.
Thanks for the picture, it makes a world of difference which "groove" you pry against.

Back