tom10422

Snow?

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:38 am

Has anybody driven in snow with the 19" all-season tires? That is all I have for my i3 currently and we are supposed to get 1-3" tomorrow.

Jeffj

Re: Snow?

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:43 am

Handles well in the snow with the 19" all-seasons. Put it in EcoPro or EcoPro+ to reduce power to the wheels to reduce/eliminating tire spinning.

KMP647

Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:48 pm

I Think you will do fine. Since I have a truck I will be driving it! , keeps the miles down on my lease and keep the I3 cleaner!
I3 Rex mega
Northern Virginia

klineco

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 pm

My first post on the forum. I live 9 miles into the foothills west of Boulder, CO and have just under 1000 miles on our 2014 i3 REX. I've driven it in very snowy and icy conditions a handful of times now on the very steep and winding road - both paved and gravel - which leads to our home. We have the standard 19" wheels and tires and the vehicle handles amazingly. I definitely put it in EcoPro mode both to conserve battery and reduce power and am careful on the steepest, slipperiest uphills to apply power slowly. Going downhill in slippery conditions I prefer the i3 to my 4-wheel drive SUV as the "braking" of the i3 is more gentle and leads to much better traction.

tom10422

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks, I've only had the i3 a little over a week now. I've seen any number of rear wheel drive vehicles slip on this on this one hill by my neighborhood and was concerned. However,. this area has been downgraded to about an inch of snow and they have already pretreated the roads.

jadnashuanh

Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:17 pm

FWIW, the motor is essentially directly aligned with the rear wheels. This helps. Winter tires would help more, but especially when new, the all-season tires are often adequate; not the best, but adequate. Nothing beats a purpose built tool for the specific conditions, and with winter tires, that's not only the precipitation, but the temperature which affects the rubber's ability to grip since it gets stiffer and can't conform resulting in less surface contact area.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Pentacat

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:06 pm

Over the last three days I've driven in 1/2" of ice followed by 6-7" of snow and I've got the 19" All-Seasons. The ice was interesting, in Eco Pro with traction control on I was getting around as well or better than most front wheel drive cars I saw and WAY better than the poor guy I saw in a Camaro. The snow was really not a problem as far as traction goes, the only issue that is a little odd is the rear end can become "unsettled" when you let off and go into regen. It even feels like sometimes the ABS kicks in during regen which makes sense but is a bit odd since you're not braking in the traditional sense.

Two complaints:
First, the windshield wipers have always been great in the rain but in the snow they suck....a lot. Even with the defrost cranked all the way up with the temp set to 80 degrees the windshield was still cold enough that the wiper blades kept building up ice on them making them useless. Even when you clean the ice off the blades then ice/snow builds up on the edges of the windshield and the whole process repeats. Also, the windshield washer nozzles freeze up easily as well so you're left with no way to clear the windshield at all. At the very least a cold weather package option with heated washer nozzles and/or a heated windshield should be available, I'll live with the power usage to be able to see.

Second, you can't fully disable the traction control and it's REALLY aggressive in the snow (IMHO). I guess this is BWM erring to the side of caution but it makes it impossible to have any fun in the snow....no donuts for you!
Born Electric 8/29/2014.

BoMW
Forum Supporter

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:41 pm

Pentacat wrote:Second, you can't fully disable the traction control and it's REALLY aggressive in the snow (IMHO). I guess this is BWM erring to the side of caution but it makes it impossible to have any fun in the snow....no donuts for you!

Pentacat, are you saying that when you go into settings and select traction to off, it doesn't switch it off?
My i3, collected 02/05/14---44000 miles by 30/05/16
SOLD 05/03/17 :(

i3atl

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:55 pm

BoMW wrote:
Pentacat wrote:Second, you can't fully disable the traction control and it's REALLY aggressive in the snow (IMHO). I guess this is BWM erring to the side of caution but it makes it impossible to have any fun in the snow....no donuts for you!

Pentacat, are you saying that when you go into settings and select traction to off, it doesn't switch it off?

It doesn't switch it off, despite the confusing wording they used in the menu.

alohart

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Pentacat wrote:Even with the defrost cranked all the way up with the temp set to 80 degrees the windshield was still cold enough that the wiper blades kept building up ice on them making them useless.

Winter wiper blades, frequently with rubber-covered metal parts, minimize the amount of ice that can adhere. Maybe a set of these would solve at least this one problem.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”