Kids and back of the i3 front seat

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loliea

I have a 4 year old seating in her car seat in back that managed to tear the fabric at the back of the front seat (see pictures) :( . Did anyone had the same problem?
I am pretty sure this is not covered under warranty (?). Did anyone try to "open" the seats? I have been looking on the internet and I couldn't find schematics or pictures.

It doesn't look torn - probably just needs to be re-attached.

I don't have any info about opening the seats up, but I would be cautious given that they contain airbags.

Edit: Looks like that rear piece probably just pops off, but unless you want to disconnect the 12V in order to prevent issues with the airbag, it may make sense to let the dealer handle it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1Z23&mospid=56090&btnr=52_3951&hg=52&fg=10

It looks like the fabric is thermo glued to the inside of the back shell.
I don't believe the airbags are in the seat but rather on the outside frame of the doors.
Yeah I saw the real OEM drawing but they are not mentioning how the seats are put together. Could be just clips of glued to save the weight of the hardware. I don't want to be the first one to find out ;)

loliea said:
It looks like the fabric is thermo glued to the inside of the back shell.
I don't believe the airbags are in the seat but rather on the outside frame of the doors.
Yeah I saw the real OEM drawing but they are not mentioning how the seats are put together. Could be just clips of glued to save the weight of the hardware. I don't want to be the first one to find out ;)

There is an airbag installed in each front seat.

The seat back is actually the "frame" on the i3 seats so there is no way to just pop it off. It is self supporting so really you would need to remove the cushions which also brings the airbags into play.

I am not sure there is an easy fix to this.

Seat backrest made of polyamide

The seat backrest in the driver’s and passenger seats is the first injection molded and uncoated structural component made from polyamide to have a visible surface and to be used in the vehicle interior. This lightweight hybrid component, weighing only 2 kg. The backrest, which integrates multiple functions, is made from a highly UV-stable polyamide 6 compound. As well as providing sufficient rigidity, this material also ensures adequate elongation and toughness to meet the mechanical requirements of the BMW Group, and this within a temperature range of -30°C to +80°C.

The seat backrest owes its final, complex and above all very slim shape to the early use of simulation tools. Thanks to the precise numerical simulation of the materials used for the backrest, release lever and belt guide, the calculated behavior in the crash simulation matched the subsequent tests very accurately. Optimization could thus take place on the computer in the early stages, avoiding modifications later on in component development. The simulation method effectively accompanied all the certificates required by law at different seat positions, temperatures and loads.

It is especially low-emission. Its very high scratch resistance and remarkable surface quality allow a visible use of the seat structure, which thus becomes an important element. Regarding the seat release lever, its material must not fail in a crash. Therefore, a special long glass fiber reinforced is employed in this application.

After a bit more searching, the back actually does pop off - but there are many clips involved, and considering the airbag involvement it looks like a good job for the dealer.

Yes I found the location of the airbag by looking at the schematic RE airbags on RealOEM (they don't show in the seat section). O well, kids... :twisted:
Thanks anyway!

I realize this is an old thread, but hopefully there's new and rosier information out there. We have a 2.5 yo who has kicked the living daylights out of the fabric. It's not torn, but disconnected on the top half. We'll try getting the dealer to fix under warranty next time we're in, but has anyone had success detaching the panel and regluing? Did the airbag location prove to be a problem. Would love to avoid an expensive defect at lease turn in. Thanks!

I have the same issue and have to return the car in 2 months .. how much dealer charged ? Is this covered under warranty ? Thanks

Back