i3 is the absolute most hated car at Public Chargers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattun

Just a friendly reminder, get your software update and set hospitality charging to Yes. I'm honestly surprised there aren't most posts about vandalism of i3s here.

I have read many posts about how hospitality charging is unreliable, even in the latest software update.

In many public charging locations, if one's EV is parked in the charging space, no other EV could charge even if the charging cable were unlocked. So it's generally best to be present when charging stops so that one's EV can be moved so that others can charge.

mattun said:
Just a friendly reminder, get your software update and set hospitality charging to Yes. I'm honestly surprised there aren't most posts about vandalism of i3s here.

Do you even have an i3? There is no configuration for hospitality charging.

i3atl said:
mattun said:

Do you even have an i3? There is no configuration for hospitality charging.

There has been a firmware update with reports of this option that will unlock the port when charging is done. But there have been conflicting reports whether it applies to cars built before 2015. This is all from reports here.

I would never leave my i3 to charge in public if I was not sure I was coming back way before it stopped charging. There are spots where one charger serves two parking spots adjacent and I would be stopping the use by others. In fact I have taken to not charging at work since switching from Leaf to i3 because 4 of us share one charger and I don't want to stop someone else from charging if they need do. With the Leaf I used to leave the lock off and tell people they were free to pull and charger and use it as needed.

epirali said:
There has been a firmware update with reports of this option that will unlock the port when charging is done. But there have been conflicting reports whether it applies to cars built before 2015. This is all from reports here.

Yes, but there is no setting - it either works or it doesn't. There is no "Yes" option or other configuration as suggested by the OP.

mattun said:

I thought cannot unplug is a better design than the others (*cough* Volt) which let you unplug but sound the car alarm.

Blue20 said:
mattun said:

I thought cannot unplug is a better design than the others (*cough* Volt) which let you unplug but sound the car alarm.

Why is sounding alarm better?

As an everyday user of shared charging, I can tell you we plug and unplug each other all the time. It's often necessary to juggle the "hoses" to make one reach and when charging is complete to plugshare. Everyone with a Volt has thankfully silenced his alarm, and everyone with a Leaf has disabled the lock.

The people who are still screwed are ones where they have a charge timer programmed for home use, and the "charge now" option is one time only, not sticky. Leaf and Rav-4 work this way, possibly others. So if someone unplugs them even for a moment to switch "hoses" once replugged they don't start charging. Ford and Volt (possibly others) have "sticky" settings so this isn't a problem.

Some models can have different settings based on location.

I would love it if my i3 used GPS to know that it was at home, and should use the schedule, or it was somewhere else, and should charge immediately.

Will it only work if the car you want bumped is registered with the app otherwise how will they know the contact details? Would be better if you could move ICE cars!

coreperformance said:
Some models can have different settings based on location.

I would love it if my i3 used GPS to know that it was at home, and should use the schedule, or it was somewhere else, and should charge immediately.

Ford Focus Electric works that way. Each location can have its own pre-programmed charging profile

RJSATLBA said:
http://chargebump.com/ - if only more people would register!
This app has a usage model that's opposite of what my parking garage does.

We park and leave our charge ports open. When the person who's charging finishes, they're supposed to come down and switch to a waiting car.

This app doesn't help that at all because it can only send 'bump' messages (at least from what I could tell from downloading it and trying to use it briefly). It needs to have its message configurable/choosable.

The Portland Oregon airport just installed many charging spots in their economy lot -- the one that you have to ride a bus to and from the terminal that's "only" $10/day. This seems insane to me -- am I supposed to hog a spot for four days while I go to San Diego for a long weekend?!

Some airports are experimenting with cheap low power 120v chargers at long term lots. The idea is that since they are so cheap to install there can be dozens in the lot and you won't need to unplug anyone. A slow charger is just fine if you are going to be parked for 4 days.....

Based on my experience, it will only unlock the charger when the vehicle is charged if preconditioning is not set. If your car is fully charged by, say 2pm, but you schedule preconditioning and depart time of 4pm, it leaves it locked to draw from the charger when AC comes on.

I found a solution, everyone should use this on public chargers....

How to defeat the charge cable lock

2014 BMW i3 US charging socket showing locking clipPress the release button on the J-Plug whilst locking the doors – the little locking plate above the J-Plug wants to come out, but it won’t until you release the button on the J-plug. Slowly ease the button up whilst tilting the J-plug out and back… wait for it… the moment the catch starts to move, press the button down again quickly to block the catch coming out! The catch will stop automatically, thinking it’s out far enough but it’s not! With a bit of practice you too can defeat it every time leaving the cable unlocked for the next person to use.

This is no longer an issue with the new software update - anyone who's affected by this just needs to visit their dealer to get the November 2015 software. Once that's in place, the car will unlock the connector at 100%.

Back