RExingIT

Ordered Winter Tires

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:37 am

Last week I ordered a set of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 for my REx. The are supposed to arrive this week and I should have them on the car by Friday. I got them on the recommendation I saw from BMWBLOG.com. As there is a $20 rebate per tire, they will be around $20 or so more than the Blizzaks.

On a side note, we've already gotten an 8 inch snow in the Chicago suburbs. I've got the 19"s and it handled fairly well in the slush, snow and ice.

I will keep you posted. If we get any more snow this winter, I will include photographs.
Chicago area. BMW i3 REx, Giga world, Ionic Silver

jadnashuanh

Re: Ordered Winter Tires

Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:52 pm

One of the car magazines did a winter tire review recently, and those came out on top...one of the Blizzaks came out fourth. Retail price on them is quite a bit higher, though, but street prices can vary a lot.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

websterize

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:03 pm

2015 Tera BEV | Coding spreadsheet

RExingIT

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Well I just got them installed. So far the ride is good, but I've got a big problem.

The regen braking is now half as effective as it should be above 10 mph. This is not just a gut feel thing, the marker only goes halfway into the charge bar. I called the iGenius line and they said they'd never heard of that before.

Anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,

P.

SSi3

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:41 pm

RExingIT wrote:Well I just got them installed. So far the ride is good, but I've got a big problem.

The regen braking is now half as effective as it should be above 10 mph. This is not just a gut feel thing, the marker only goes halfway into the charge bar. I called the iGenius line and they said they'd never heard of that before.

Thanks,

P.

I think you're experiencing the cold weather regen, if the battery isn't up to operating temp the system limits how much regen can be dumped into it.
2015 i3 REx - born electric 4/25/15

RExingIT

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:24 pm

SSi3 wrote:
RExingIT wrote:Well I just got them installed. So far the ride is good, but I've got a big problem.

Thanks,

P.

I think you're experiencing the cold weather regen, if the battery isn't up to operating temp the system limits how much regen can be dumped into it.

Nope, Was working fine 1 hr before. To be precise, it was working fine until I swapped tires.

jadnashuanh

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Do you have TPMS in the new set? Had you registered them in the car? I think it uses the anti-lock brake sensors for some of the input logic, but it might be that it avoids max regen until it can read the tire pressure as well. Just guessing here.
Jim DeBruycker

RExingIT

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:21 am

And now the Regen seems to be working properly. I'm still waiting for a call back from BMW on what might have caused it.

jadnashuanh

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Regen can vary based on the battery charge, whether bumps are being detected, your current speed, and how much the steering wheel is being turned. Throw in the possibility of going uphill verses down, or being level, and the perceived braking power during regen can vary quite a bit. If the vehicle detects a wheel slipping, it can adjust, too.
Jim DeBruycker

lucycan

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:56 pm

I'd love to put winters on (soon to be) mine as well. Blizzaks are WAY overrated. Those Hakkas are awesome!!

With such a skinny tire this thing should do quite well in snow. Well for a rear drive car.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”