Cargo cover for the trunk?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makiedog

Just bought a 2014 Rex Mega, previous owner says it didn't come with a cargo cover for the trunk. Is this standard configuration?

I didn't notice until many months later that mine didn't have one.

I guess that's what comes from buying the demo at a steep discount...

I don't think I have one then. What does it look like - is it tupperware or is it more like a screen hat snaps over the top?

makiedog said:
It's a rigid tray that will lift up with the hatch, the manual shows there is one.
It has pivot pins in the front, and strings on the back. The pins latch into sockets just behind the seats, and the strings end in a clip that connects to the tailgate near the hinge so that the tray lifts up when the tailgate is opened.

Be careful to not put any tension on the strings, as the clips are not that well secured. BMW will replace it under warranty, but after that, a new tray is almost $300, and there is no option to repair the strings; only replace the entire tray. I have no idea how my one string slipped out of the clip, as I never sat anything on the tray, nor otherwise pulled on the string while it was clipped in place.

Thinking back a year... I remember the cargo cover was only included as standard for the Tera series in 2014, for the Mega and Giga it was optional. Some M n G cars came with the option listed, but others did not. The Mega we test drove for three days did not have one. I looked it up a year ago and think it was about a $220 option. The cover is possibly a standard feature across the line for 2015.

I may be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

The cover has been standard equipment in the U.S. since the car's release in early 2014, no matter the World. My 05/14 build Mega has it.

If your new i3 doesn't have the trunk cover, the dealership should order a new one at no additional charge to the customer.

The reason some of you say your cargo cover is missing is whenever you buy a used vehicle, especially from stealerships, things like the "cargo cover" owners manuals, second key even floor mats will be missing because of how much they can be sold for on flea bay and the like.

Our i3 came with a cover. After removing and installing the cover numerous times over the past year and 3 months, I left it in the garage. The problem with the cover is it reduces storage space. It also gets in the way when the rear seats are down. So I suggest that missing your cover is not that big a deal. Our previous vehicle had an optional cover that we never used because it was more trouble than it was worth.

TOEd said:
So I suggest that missing your cover is not that big a deal. Our previous vehicle had an optional cover that we never used because it was more trouble than it was worth.
If one is unfortunate enough to live in an area where sleaze bags will happily break into one's car if they see something of value inside as we are, the cargo cover is very useful for hiding what's underneath and thus reducing the break-in temptation. For that reason alone, we always have our cargo cover in place unless it prevents something large from fitting in the cargo area.

NOGAS4ME said:
The reason some of you say your cargo cover is missing is whenever you buy a used vehicle, especially from stealerships, things like the "cargo cover" owners manuals, second key even floor mats will be missing because of how much they can be sold for on flea bay and the like.

This is what happened with my used 2014 i3 I bought from a "stealership". It was missing one of the support cables for the trunk cover so it leans a bit when the trunk is open. I figured I could just find a replacement cord on eBay or somewhere similar, but it seems it's all part of the expensive cover piece. It bugs me to look at it, so I guess I'm going to have to build a homemade version.

Find someone who has a 3d printer and make one, the right and left plastic clips are identical, or do what I did. My string came out the hole and would not go back in, I Dremeled the hole bigger dripped a drop of super glue in the hole and fed the string back in with a sewing needle, then took a soldering iron and melted the plastic lip created from the Dremel back in the hole. It's been holding for a year and a half now and would need a magnifying glass to see this repair was ever done. BMW really dropped the QC on these covers as if they were an afterthought. I can easily overlook it though as I'm still in love with the i3 and have so few complaints considering its first generation.

Polot said:
3d print https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2566049

I was so excited to find this link for a replacement clip but then realized this is for the end that attaches to the trunk hatch and not the end that attaches to the cover. I also purchased a used I3 with only one string on the cover but I do have a second hatch clip still attached, so the previous owner must have pulled on it too hard. I'm also missing those rubber stoppers that go over these clips in pictures I see from other I3 owners, but I don't think they make much difference.

Anyone have a link to purchase a 3D printed clip found on the trunk cover?

Back