Washing the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nji3guy

I enjoy hand washing my own cars but ...

There are occasions that I use a commercial car wash , specifically for the under carriage wash.
In the US NorthEast, they still sometimes salt the roads in the winter.
Long term , it's rough on the cars.

I can't say that I've crawled under my i3 yet.
I don't know how much stuff is "exposed" under there and I'm trying to think ahead

To occasionally get the under carriage blasted clean at a car wash VS will an under side scrubbing hurt anything, DC motor, batteries or my REx?

Anyone have any experience? Any BMW engineers that follow the forum have any insights?

New Jersey i3 Guy - nji3guy

All modern cars are designed for typical road splash while driving in the rain. The i3 is no different. They do warn of high pressure against the ultrasonic sensors and at the lighting, but that is true for many vehicles, not just the i3. A typical car wash should not be a problem with the i3 as long as you don't get things caught up in park on a moving track. I do not remember anything specific other than the caution on the lights and sensors being in the operator's manual, but it wouldn't hurt to read that often forgotten book! They make it easy since you can access it in the car or via an app, so search is easier.

Photos of the underside of an i3 show that there's far less to corrode than the normal car. Almost the entire underside is covered by aluminum and thermoplastic panels. Much of the suspension is aluminum. There is a triangular opening in the underside panels near the rear where salty road grim could collect. But with an aluminum frame and CFRP passenger cell, there might not be much above this triangular opening that could corrode. Brake lines and various clips that secure wiring, brake lines, and fuel lines in a REx might be susceptible to corrosion. A REx would likely have some corrodible engine parts, but most parts seem to be well-covered.

I would think that an i3 would age very well in areas where salted roads cause many corrosion problems with most vehicles.

Back