Anyone considering with a lease expiring soon considering the Bolt as an alternative to a 2017 I3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmer

I've been thinking about what to replace my I3 with when the lease expires in April 2017 and I have to say that the reports about the Chevy Bolt will make it hard to stay with the brand even though I have enjoyed my experience with the I3.

Anyone else considering the new Chevy EV or want to talk me down?

Best Regards,

George M.

It really comes down to what your vehicle needs and expectations are. Used as intended, for commuting for most people, the i3 is more than adequate. If you intend to use it as an only vehicle, the REx is probably called for. Either of those configurations will have some limitations and inconveniences that you may or may not want to live with.

If you do need the longer range on a daily basis, a bigger battery pack can help, but one thing to consider is that with any larger battery pack, if you do exceed its range, it will take longer to refill from empty than an i3. Being able to maybe skip a charge point or two or more is an advantage, and from what I hear, the Bolt may be a better long distance vehicle...it does have more room in it at least for the number of people and storage.

Neither car is what I would consider an only car for the family where you could just get in, run the fuel nearly out and refill in 10-20 minutes and be back on your way. For that, you need a pure ICE or a hybrid with a larger gas tank.

So, given the depreciation on your existing vehicle, depending on your needs, a new car may or may not be a good financial investment, either. Given the age of your vehicle, you probably have another two years of free maintenance, but the things do not require much of any. Given that the Bolt is just literally a few days old in the buying public domain...it wouldn't surprise me that it will require some frequent trips for software updates..,the i3 is more mature in that aspect with going on 3-years of field experience in customers hands.

The allure of a new vehicle can be overwhelming. Not having seen a Bolt in person, I can't say what the interior will be like living with one or whether I'd even fit comfortably which is the first criteria I have when looking at a car...can I get In and out of it easily (I don't bend well, and I'm tall - long-waisted, too). My general finding is that few cars meet my coarse 'fit' test...the i3 barely does.

As to reliability...really hard to say both from a vehicle and dealer standpoint. On the i3, some dealers invested in the tools and training, some did not. My local dealer is one of few certified body repair points in the region, too, and have devoted a fair amount of money on training. It shows...plus, the service manager is fairly young and bright - open to the intricacies of an EV. I'd be surprised if that were true most places, though, and even less likely to happen at a Chevy dealership.

My lease expires in 2017 also.
However, I never get a car in its first year of production. Just too many issues.
I always wait till the 2nd year at least.

In addition, having been sold junk by Chevy in the past, I will not consider a Bolt.
I'm sure some will say that Chevy have improved so let them take the risk, I'll certainly not.
I'll defer.

The logic of getting a 1st year car applies to the Tesla model 3 too.

So I'm looking at another I3 Rex.
The larger battery will help us a lot.

My wife's i3 lease ends in February, and we definitely would have considered a Bolt for her next car, except that it won't be available here in FL by then. Last I heard, initial US deliveries of the Bolt this month would only be in CA and OR, and they would become available nationwide throughout 2017.

So even if you would consider a Bolt as your next car, you might not be able to get one.

My Owner's Choice contract is up in May. I assume I'll either buy my current car (if the price makes sense) or go for another i3; its optimization for city use outweighs just being an EV or increased range. I've seen the Bolt a number of times since the GM subsidiary Cruise Automation has had a fleet on the streets of SF testing autonomous technology for several months. Range is irrelevant because the original i3 more than meets my needs. The Bolt's increased length and metal body are major negatives for me. I'm also leery of its interior quality and GM reliability. Finally, GM has closed all its dealerships in SF. I refuse to buy any brand that requires a trip out of town for service.

Test drove a Bolt yesterday.

Really nice dash and instrument screen
adjustable brake regen from none to all and paddle shift controlled
very easy FWD wheel spin ... surprised the computer would allow
easily as quick as the i3
nice exterior styling
many exterior cameras
camera rear view mirror

nothing negative to say about it except that its a chevy which means interfacing with chevy dealers which are among the worst in the business

as usual they incorrectly push the 200+ mile range as a giant benefit refusing to accept the fact that the i3 80 mile range is completely adequate for the huge majority of drivers

darn those pesky, inconvenient truths

Stumbledotcom: "Finally, GM has closed all its dealerships in SF. I refuse to buy any brand that requires a trip out of town for service."
What service? Adjusting the valves? Come on, it's an EV! You mean you can't make a 5-mile expedition to sunny Colma every couple of years? So Chevy has sought lower overhead but BMW still pays premium to stay in SF - guess who will offer the best deal?
Redbarn: "having been sold junk by Chevy in the past, I will not consider a Bolt."
I look at it the other way - BMW and Tesla have staked out some pretty tough benchmarks here and Chevy knows it has to up it's game with the Bolt, their halo car, or risk loosing yet another generation of buyers. I regard the Volt as a brave first effort, and will approach the Bolt with an open mind.
As for the dealers, I agree they suck, but then so does BMW and all the traditional ICE franchise dealers - only Tesla has this sorted with their direct sales model.

justanotherdrunk said:
Test drove a Bolt yesterday.

Really nice dash and instrument screen
adjustable brake regen from none to all and paddle shift controlled
very easy FWD wheel spin ... surprised the computer would allow
easily as quick as the i3
nice exterior styling
many exterior cameras
camera rear view mirror

nothing negative to say about it except that its a chevy which means interfacing with chevy dealers which are among the worst in the business

as usual they incorrectly push the 200+ mile range as a giant benefit refusing to accept the fact that the i3 80 mile range is completely adequate for the huge majority of drivers

darn those pesky, inconvenient truths

That's why the 80 mile Teslas are so popular...80 miles is enough for most people

"That's why the 80 mile Teslas are so popular...80 miles is enough for most people"

Not sure what you meant to say, but there are no 80-mile Teslas; they're all over 200 miles.

roofless said:
"That's why the 80 mile Teslas are so popular...80 miles is enough for most people"

Not sure what you meant to say, but there are no 80-mile Teslas; they're all over 200 miles.

Pre 2017 i3's are 80 mile Teslas lol :ugeek:

roofless said:

Well there was the one 'loaned' to Top Gear:
Jeremy-Clarkson-and-the-T-008.jpg

Bob Wilson

roofless said:

Exactly. That's the point. 80 miles is not enough. Why would anyone settle for an 80 mile car if given the option of a 200 mile car? At one point Tesla offered 40 kWh cars and there was so little demand they were dropped. Didn't make sense to get one.

michaelbmw said:
80 miles is not enough.
It is for many of us.

michaelbmw said:
Why would anyone settle for an 80 mile car if given the option of a 200 mile car?
Lower cost and more compact and more agile since an 80-mile battery pack is smaller and lighter than a 200-mile battery pack.

michaelbmw said:
At one point Tesla offered 40 kWh cars and there was so little demand they were dropped. Didn't make sense to get one.
Certainly not at its high price point.

What is the outward visibility like in the Bolt? I test-drove a Volt (the plug-in hybrid) and liked everything about it except the very narrow windshield which ruins the enjoyment of driving for me. The i3 on the other hand had excellent visibility.

I'm going to check out the Bolt before my lease expires in October. I won't rule out another i3 though given the longer range, which may be sufficient for most of my needs. One thing I really like about the i3 is BMW's sustainability efforts with the production, materials used, and efficiency of the vehicle. This is one of the major factors for me leasing the vehicle. Cutting down my carbon footprint is important and I'm not sure what Chevy's efforts are for this other than producing an emissions free vehicle.

There are two big complaints I have with the i3. One is the odd wheel size and the fact that the fronts and rears are different. Tires should be rotated regularly for longevity and this also limits the tires I can buy for the car, including expensive snow tires and rims. The other complaint is not being able to adjust the regenerative breaking. I prefer the aggressive regen 95% of the time but there are times when I'd like to turn it off completely. This is my second winter driving an i3 and while I know how to find the sweet spot and have learned how to slow down the car gracefully when it's snowy or icy out, the car is still squirrelly when I have to stop quickly in slippery conditions. Part of this may be due to the rear tire tread being low, which I'm replacing as soon as my local tire shop gets them in, but the regen can be downright unsafe in these conditions, especially with the all season tires.

There are many features of the i3 that I really like too. Most of you reading this post already know those.

Living in MI where they salt the roads for snow and ice, I love the appeal of a vehicle that won't rust out like a majority of vehicles do here. This would be another major factor if I'm buying a vehicle, but I'll most likely lease my next EV as technology is still changing rapidly.

If Chevy has made good sustainability efforts with the production and construction of the vehicle, I'll consider it. I would drive an EV on more out of town trips if I had more range.

http://www.torquenews.com/3855/number-one-chevrolet-bolt-delivered-right-telsas-back-yard

• The three custodians of the Chevy Bolts, one being a retired law enforcement officer previously owned a Chevy Spark and a Chevy Volt, another who is replacing a BMW i3 and the last a Toyota Prius.
If that was a BMW i3 BEV, I would understand but it does raise some questions:

1) Was the BMW i3 a BEV or REX?

• If someone needs more range, the Bolt makes sense. However, turning in a REx that already has 150 mile range, longer if you refuel it, that would not make sense.

2) Was the BMW i3 an end of lease?

• If end of lease, it makes sense to get a different car. But an owned BMW i3 would realize a pretty stiff depreciation.

3) About the Prius, what model year?

• The reason is a Prius won't last forever: Gen-1 2001-03; Gen-2 2004-09; Gen-3 2010-15, and; Gen-4 2016-current. I can fully understand replacing a Gen-1 or Gen-2 Prius because the 1.5L engine is a little on the weak side. The Gen-3 is a toss-up, my other car while the BMW i3-REx is getting a motor mount bolt repair. A Gen-4 would be an interesting turn.

Just curious,
Bob Wilson

The smart thing for someone in this situation is to turn in the leased i3 and purchase a CPO off-lease i3 for low 20's, if the gen 1 i3 is adequate for your needs. Then, sell it when the CPO warranty expires for at least $15K and look at Gen 2 i3, Bolt, or Tesla when they are in second or third-year of production--or the i5 is available. Currently, used gen 1 i3's are selling/trading in for MUCH less than the residual value of the lease. The people that leased were smart/lucky. The ones that bought (me) not so much.

Buy/lease financial assessment becomes less and less of an issue if you don't need to change vehicles every few years. IOW, if you keep it long enough, depreciation evens out considerably. As long as the car still meets your needs, trading for a new one isn't as big a deal. Maybe with an ICE, where there is a bunch more to go wrong, that decision is easier to make, but even then, once you're over the infant mortality timeframe, there's not all that much to go wrong.

Back