Order Time 2017 I3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadJager

We ordered our 2017 I3 BEV 15Dec16. We have yet to receive a build date/VIN assignment. What have others experienced. Not impatient, just inquisitive. Our dealer can not give us any idea. They did come back with a reduced monthly lease number which was appreciated.
Thanks Ahead of time,
Road Jager

Well, I was given build and delivery dates within 20 minutes of signing the purchase order. I wond get the VIN until a few weeks before build commences. I purchased Jan 25th for a March 25th delivery slot.

Buzby said:
Well, I was given build and delivery dates within 20 minutes of signing the purchase order. I wond get the VIN until a few weeks before build commences. I purchased Jan 25th for a March 25th delivery slot.
MMM, I guess things move faster in Scotland than Trumpland. I will get with my dealer and press him a bit harder for a stronger commitment.
Thanks Buzby.

BMWUSA ordering is a bit different than other countries. It depends on whether the dealer modified an existing 'dealer spec' order, or entered an entirely new one. If it's an entirely new one, he may have used up his current allocations and can't actually even put the order in until a future allocation opens up. A 'sold' order does bump up its priority over a dealer spec one, though. Now, that normally isn't an issue, as they're able to (now) build them pretty fast, so there isn't a volume constraint like there was when they first came out. But, some places only order once a month.

FWIW, at least in the USA, a dealer can modify an existing order almost up until the day before it starts production.

Not sure if Scotland is the same as England WRT ordering an i3, but for the most part, the dealers do not stock i3's...they're built to order, and the system is setup to input those orders as needed, which may help. The delivery time is shorter, too, even though it might be on the same ship that continues on to the USA.

Jim - as far as I can tell all dealer stock in Scotland is the same as England, they are owned by BMW and used as demonstrators or showroom eye candy. After 6 months or so they are sold on as pre-registered many with under 300 miles on the clock. The features] packs are variable and often pretty stupid, so the only way you get your bespoke feature set is to have it ordered, and (here) you get your build date and estimated delivery. At no stage was there any reference to a dealer list of available models in order to have it shipped up from whoever had stock, but then, it wouldn't be 'new'!

We ordered our 2017 i3 BEV on Dec 21. The dealer (Braman BWM in West Palm Beach FL) got a production slot for the car on on Jan 13 or 14. When I checked yesterday, the car had been built and was waiting for transportation. The VIN has been assigned but I don't have it yet. We're shooting to get the car by the end of the month, which is when our current 2014 i3 REX lease ends.

Buzby said:
Jim - as far as I can tell all dealer stock in Scotland is the same as England, they are owned by BMW and used as demonstrators or showroom eye candy. After 6 months or so they are sold on as pre-registered many with under 300 miles on the clock. The features] packs are variable and often pretty stupid, so the only way you get your bespoke feature set is to have it ordered, and (here) you get your build date and estimated delivery. At no stage was there any reference to a dealer list of available models in order to have it shipped up from whoever had stock, but then, it wouldn't be 'new'!
Yep, that was my understanding, but I wasn't positive that they treated Scotland the same as England, but it makes sense if the importer is for the UK. In the USA, BMW sells the cars to the dealerships, and the dealers sell them to the end users, so it's possible to find one, like it, and drive a new one home the same day, or, the dealer might be able to trade or obtain one from some other dealership. It's only when they can't find one that you need to order one to your exact specifications. I was lucky on mine...the dealer didn't have one, but had an agreement with another dealership that did...they stuck it on a transport truck and it showed up in a couple of days.

Back