Which Charging Solution

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyborr

Hello everyone - first post from a new member.

I will hopefully be getting my i3 Rex 2015 model early next week and am planning to install a dedicated charging station on the house wall next to where the car will be parked on the driveway.

I think this is what I need but would just like confirmation that I am buying the right gear.

A 32 amp universal socket from ChargedEV along with a separate 5m cable.
http://www.chargedev.co.uk/domestic-chargepoints

My thinking is that I can use the separate cable at some public charging points.
I realise that this is more expensive than the tethered version but does seem to be a more flexible solution.

Any comments will be most welcome

The importance of a tethered cable will become clear when the weather is bad. When it's raining you nerd to unplug or plug in quickly and not spend time coiling/uncoiling cables and stowing them. In two years I've used my 32A cable about 3 times as most of my charging is at home with occasional on the rapid CCS chargers on motorways.

If you plan to change your vehicle and need access to different sockets - then you selection is good, as you simply use use standard charging cable. But if you plan to keep it - a T2 tethered lead will be better, as you save coiling and packing the Eire, and your T2>T2 cable can stay In the car ready for a public chargepoint. I have seen folk leave it connected at home forgetting to take it, and having nothing to charge on the road!

Not sure why Europe went without tethered cables as standard, but it is what it is. All of the EVSE's in the US have a tethered cable. Now, that can be an issue if someone leaves it sitting on the ground and runs over it, but that's not normally an issue.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

It sounds like I may be better 'living' with the car for a few weeks before making my decision.

I will be charging from home about 90% of the time, so maybe tethered is the way to go.

I've had my i3 REX for 2 months and I have a ChargedEV tethered cable at home. It's far easier dealing with that than the supplied BMW cable and not having to coil back up/put in bag/put it back in the trunk, compared to coiling the tethered round the charger and driving away.

By all means live with the i3 to start with, but you'll soon be ordering the tethered cable.

I haven't used the three pin charging cable yet, you may be put off the slow charge. I had the tethered cable installed prior to delivery and I'm very glad I did.

Thanks for your thoughts.

May I ask how long it takes you to charge the i3 with the 32 Amp supply?

Hi Aaron

and sorry to highjack the thread

I'm in a similar position after picking up a 65 plate ex demonstrator i3 BEV at the weekend. I was looking at ChargedEV as they are significantly cheaper but I was concerned by the poor reviews on google, were they OK for you?

Does anyone else have a view that either the Pod Point or the new BMW Wallbox Plus is substantially better?

Many thanks

Lee

I went with the ChargedEV Tethered solution in the end and am glad I did.

They came within a week of placing the order and it was fitted in just over an hour. There is an offer on this month (February) where you only pay £149 for it.

Now when I get home from work I simply uncoil the tethered cable and plug it into the car.

Not had the car long enough to see if I need a separate cable for public chargers although that is something I am considering.

My query is similar to Lee's above - I've just ordered a BEV for delivery in September and am trying to choose what home charger to install but I've found the information given by BMW and Chargemaster to be pretty vague regarding what the difference are between Chargemaster's own charger and the BMW branded version. As far as I can make out, the BMW one offers the ability to use the iV App to control the wallbox itself, to give you details of the electricty used and also to set the charging times so you can charge on an off peak rate - is that the only difference? I've heard that you can also set the charge time from the car using the iDrive - if so, is there any benefit in doing it from the app?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Dom

BMW originally only had one wallbox, but I've heard they now have two different models...the newer one has more control features built into it. There are other brands that offer similar features at a lower cost point (unless you're dealer gives you a great deal). But, if all you really want is to recharge the batteries, and don't have any special needs or desires to monitor things, pretty much any EVSE will work. You do probably want at least a 32A, 240vac device to minimize the recharging time. You won't hurt the car if it is larger, and if and when you end up with a car with a larger on-board charging circuit, it will take advantage of any power you have available. Two trains of thought...newer ones may have more features and be cheaper, so don't worry about it now, or, at least prep for a larger one now with the wiring so you don't have the duplicate labor to redo everything to allow a bigger box down the line. Or, simply put in the biggest one your power panel and your wallet will allow. You never know if a friend with a Tesla will stop by and need a recharge...more is better in this case!

Back