Map update and Hold charge

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3283

Good morning! I have two questions regarding the i3:

1. My map version is currently the 2015-1 and want to update I found this: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4765/BMW-2016-NBT-NAVIGATION-SYSTEM-UPDATE?centerid=3574401
However when I called BMW they mentioned that they had to do the install themselves which makes this 300 bucks. So my question is does this have to be a dealer installation or can I just show up with a USB drive and purchase the software?

2. The second question is that I heard that there is a way to enable the 'Hold Charge' feature for the i3. Is this possible?

Best Regards,

John

1. There is more than one way to update the maps on our i3's:
- buy an official BMW USB drive with the required map data and an FSC code (either from BMW, or others - others are cheaper for the code -essentially a key that tells your car you've paid for the upgrade license that's keyed to your VIN)
- pay BMW to do it for you
- pay someone for the FSC code for your car (it's unique, changes with the VIN and the specific map version). Those that can provide the FSC code will also provide you with a password and location of where any how to download the map data (this is by far the least expensive way to do it).

The going price for a private access to an FSC code is in the area of $50. Then, you'll need the time to be able to download nearly 24G of data (it changes, so can't say what the current version is). Once you have all of the data and the FSC code, you essentially, turn the car on, install the USB stick in the specified port, the car will recognize that it contains new map data, then ask you if you want to update. Assuming you say yes, it will then ask for the FSC code...you enter that, and it goes off and does its thing. Depending on where you got the map data, if from BMW directly, it will have the full set on the one USB stick, and you just wait for it to finish (you can drive while this is happening) and it takes about 45-minutes or so. Once it's finished, it will ask you if you want to apply it (it doesn't erase the current stuff until you apply it)...then, it will overwrite the existing stuff and once finished, you have to cycle the car off before it will take effect...if you get the map data and download it yourself, most of them require you to split the data up into three parts...it's best to have three USB drives, but you can do it with one...as it finishes one segment, it will ask for the second, and then for the third. Once all of it is in, the same procedure...say apply, then when done, power cycle.

2. This can be coded. The easier way is to buy a USB stick from dvdinmotion that does it just by inserting the USB stick. If you reinsert it, it backs the changes out and will flip-flop install/remove with subsequent insertions.

"- pay someone for the FSC code for your car (it's unique, changes with the VIN and the specific map version). Those that can provide the FSC code will also provide you with a password and location of where any how to download the map data (this is by far the least expensive way to do it)."

How do I locate someone who can sell me the FSC code for my car and then where to download map data? (I own a 2014 i3 ReX.)

Markeu said:
you can do it by yourself by paying and downloading new map by internet on a USB key
but be carefull: it is not available for Mac only with a PC
Why would it matter what computer operating system is used? One is merely downloading data from an Internet server onto a computer's file system and then transferring that data to a USB drive. The operating system doesn't have to execute any operating system-specific code.

macOS might create one metadata file for each map file when transferring the map data to a FAT32-formatted USB drive because the FAT32 file format can't store the metadata that the macOS file system creates and uses. These metadata files are easy to delete from the USB drive if they confuse BMW's map update software because they have the same file name as the map files except that the first character in these file names is '_' (underscore).

Thank you for the reply! Can you please post the URL (Web site name) where I can access the map data?

Johnpaul, $300 for a map update? What a deal! I was quoted $650 for a map update for my 2015 i3. Our BMW navigation system is very poor and outdated compared to our Garmin GPS. For example the BMW navigation system shows gas stations that have been closed for over 10 years. So I have zero interest in paying big $ for an inferior product. Tip: On occassion we have found that our BMW system automatically updates local information when we have asked it for additional information on specific chargers. Not sure as to the extent of these updates but better than nothing.

Most places online charge around $50 for an FSC code, and the map data is free. It's large, so if you don't have a decent internet speed, it can take awhile. But, once you've downloaded the maps and put them onto a USB drive (must be formatted so the i3 can read it), you stick it into the USB port, the car will see it as a map update and ask for the FSC code...once you've entered that, it just loads itself. Once done, it will then swap the new for the old when you power off and startup again. It takes around 40-50 minutes to get all of the data downloaded. It's really simple. I may have missed something, but the car prompts you...it's not rocket science. The dealership doesn't like it since it ties up their computer system for awhile, but it doesn't really have to be babysat, so the labor they charge is IMHO, bogus. You can go for a drive while it's happening...it will use the old map data until you tell it to swap.

alohart said:
Markeu said:
you can do it by yourself by paying and downloading new map by internet on a USB key
but be carefull: it is not available for Mac only with a PC
Why would it matter what computer operating system is used? One is merely downloading data from an Internet server onto a computer's file system and then transferring that data to a USB drive. The operating system doesn't have to execute any operating system-specific code.

macOS might create one metadata file for each map file when transferring the map data to a FAT32-formatted USB drive because the FAT32 file format can't store the metadata that the macOS file system creates and uses. These metadata files are easy to delete from the USB drive if they confuse BMW's map update software because they have the same file name as the map files except that the first character in these file names is '_' (underscore).

Hello
Because you cannot dowload the data directly
you need to install BMW Update manager software before: this software will then dowload the data and create the usb key
But this software is only available for PC ....
PS : this is for Europe in any case.
best

Markeu said:
you need to install BMW Update manager software before: this software will then dowload the data and create the usb key
But this software is only available for PC ....
PS : this is for Europe in any case.
Thanks for the explanation. I had not heard this before. I would be surprised if the download method differs between the U.S. and Europe, but anything's possible.

I used bmwfsc.ca for a lifetime FSC code. I've used this to update my maps 4 times now and only paid $50 once! I've also gotten fast support over email two of those times.

If you are the hacker type there's also a way to generate the FSC code yourself for free, but it's a bit involved. I think the $50 was well worth it.

BTW don't bother buying a 32 GB flash drive anymore as the map data may not fit depending on your specific flash drive and the exact number of bytes it happens to format. Just get a 64GB to guarantee no issues, plus you'll be future proofed as the map data gets bigger each time.

spinball said:
I used bmwfsc.ca for a lifetime FSC code. I've used this to update my maps 4 times now and only paid $50 once! I've also gotten fast support over email two of those times.

If you are the hacker type there's also a way to generate the FSC code yourself for free, but it's a bit involved. I think the $50 was well worth it.

BTW don't bother buying a 32 GB flash drive anymore as the map data may not fit depending on your specific flash drive and the exact number of bytes it happens to format. Just get a 64GB to guarantee no issues, plus you'll be future proofed as the map data gets bigger each time.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will check out bmwfsc.ca. I'll post my experience once I've bought the code & downloaded the maps. (I love the car, I also think BMW shouldn't charge absurd amounts for something relatively simple like maps. For the cost of their update I could buy 2 Garmins.)

BMW said last year in a press release, that newer cars will come with free, OTA, map updates, but that seems to be quite slow being implemented. FWIW, BMW pays a fee for the license. Some of that is based on what SIM card and protocol is in their system...the older stuff just wasn't fast enough to do it with any kind of decent performance. IMHO, the fee a dealer charges is way over. While it might tie up their computer for awhile, It only takes a few minutes to set it up and then verify at the end that it's done properly...but, it seems you're paying for the entire time the car is on their computer, even though no human is involved for the vast majority of it. Pure profit.

There is actually now a Mac OS X version for this. I downloaded the 18GB map file for my 225xe yesterday and will install it today. The link was available from the ConnectedDrive portal site (after logging in). After the download, it verified the file consistency and then gave me a code. I did not have to purchase anything so far and assume the code I've been prompted with is this FSC code...

I'm waiting for the delivery of my USB stick (needs to be 32GB) and will report back later.

I also spotted a separate download link for my i3.

Correction: Whilst I have the USB Map Update option enabled on my 225xe, I never purchased this option for the i3. It can be bought for £69.95 in the BMW online store and is valid for 24 months. It's actually not a bad deal, but I've decided to wait another year or 2 before I'll update the i3 maps.

psquare said:
I'm waiting for the delivery of my USB stick (needs to be 32GB) and will report back later.

Are you sure a 32GB will do ? With Update 2017-1 and 2017-2 it needed already a 64GB USB stick...?

Greetz,
Marciemarc

Back