I've had it

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donallen

I have a 2014 i3 BEV. My opinion of this car has gone steadily downhill since taking delivery in Jan. 2015.

1. The ride is ridiculously harsh. It reminds me a bit of the Morgan I had over 50 years ago. Ok, it's not as bad as the Morgan, but it's bad.
2. The performance in the snow is awful. I have a driveway with a slight (I mean SLIGHT) incline. If there is a few inches of snow in the driveway (and it's not paved -- there's 3/4" stone on the surface), I can't make it to the garage. Why? Because the traction control shuts the power down. So turn of the traction control, you say. Well, doing so doesn't disable it completely, because I still have trouble getting the car to move and still get flashing indicators on the speedometer display that the traction control is doing something. I just bought a set of Nokian winter tires to try to alleviate this problem. Then there's the regen braking problem. Take your foot off the accelerator when going downhill on a slippery road and the regen braking will cause the car to fish-tail. I found out about this by almost spinning out. I found a blog post by some guy who encountered this when evaluating an i3 and he DID spin out. It's a combination of the regen braking and rear-wheel drive that is causing this. Why is there no option to disable the regen braking?
3. Ever taken your i3 to a carwash? The kind with the track with rollers that pull the car along? Where the guy tells you to put the car in neutral? No? Well, you are in for a treat. I have usually taken the car to a touch-free car wash where you drive it in and the car sits there while the wash does its thing and then you drive out. Today I went to one of the "put it in neutral" washes for the first time. Where I learned that putting it in neutral is not NEARLY as simple as moving the lever to N. It's a six-step process (check the owner's manual) to get this freaking thing into neutral. I had no idea that I needed a Ph.D in Computer Science to get the car washed. It was quite an experience.
4. The intermittent windshield wiper rain sensor isn't worth the powder to blow it to hell. No matter what I do with the "sensitivity" control, it gets it wrong and I find myself clearing the windshield by pulling the lever down. Yes, I've had it checked multiple times by the dealer and they tell me "it works fine". No it doesn't. It works as designed, perhaps, but the design is bad. Contrast with my VW Jetta SW, a real car, where I have an intermittent setting and *I* can determine the frequency. BMW has provided a "convenience" to free me of the burden of selecting the wipe frequency and I end up having the choice of controlling the wipers myself, every time, or not being able to see. Absurd.
5. The rear-view mirror dimmer is similarly absurd. This thing supposedly removes the horrible burden of having to flip a lever when you have someone behind you with their brights on. Heaven forfend. Trouble is, it doesn't work. And there's no lever you can use to override it. Again, I've had it checked and it is performing as designed. Looks like the elves in the Black Forest aren't as smart as they used to be.

There's more, but I'm sick of writing about this. I'm going to be rid of this thing as soon as it makes financial sense. I love electric driving and will replace the i3 with someone else's electric car.

FWIW, my driveway is quite steep and nearly a 300' length where it rises nearly 30'. I live in New England where snow is not uncommon. With appropriate tires, my i3 gets around fine and gets up my driveway. There's a reason why winter tires are highly recommended when it gets cold and/or there's snow on the ground.

donallen, yes please do get rid of your i3, and take your petty whining to another blog, for if these are the worst things you have against the i3 then you are in for some grave disappointments in life over things that actually matter.
FWIW, my response, in order:
1) OK, so it's a harsh ride, BFD. But then it handles like a motorcycle, fair trade.
2) Never driven it in snow, so no direct experience.
3) Carwash - what the hell are you talking about? I go though a few times a month, slip it into neutral without a thought, crank up Pink Floyd, and sit back and enjoy the sound & light show as the external sensors go bananas over all the whirling brushes.
4) The intermittent wiper gets your goat? Really? I pity your long-suffering spouse.
5) And now you're popping off on the rearview mirror dimmer? Have your brought this up with your shrink?
Well, I am glad you love electric cars (in theory), but I doubt you will ever find one to your satisfaction.

The roller car wash has been discussed here before, I think it should be a "sticky" - the i3 is easier to get through these than a "normal" car. When they tell you to put the car in neutral don't do it - just get your foot off the pedals, that's all. The rollers are strong enough to push the car while in D, and this will put some charge in the battery too. When the green light comes on at the other side just push the accelerator and you're off.

i3an said:
donallen, yes please do get rid of your i3, and take your petty whining to another blog, for if these are the worst things you have against the i3 then you are in for some grave disappointments in life over things that actually matter.
FWIW, my response, in order:
1) OK, so it's a harsh ride, BFD. But then it handles like a motorcycle, fair trade.
2) Never driven it in snow, so no direct experience.
3) Carwash - what the hell are you talking about? I go though a few times a month, slip it into neutral without a thought, crank up Pink Floyd, and sit back and enjoy the sound & light show as the external sensors go bananas over all the whirling brushes.
4) The intermittent wiper gets your goat? Really? I pity your long-suffering spouse.
5) And now you're popping off on the rearview mirror dimmer? Have your brought this up with your shrink?
Well, I am glad you love electric cars (in theory), but I doubt you will ever find one to your satisfaction.

Seriously? You don't like his reasoned complaints and so you attack him? His points are all valid. I also do not buy/lease a $50k car then think it's ok that a basic intermittent sensing wiper can't get it right when EVERY OTHER car I have seems to have mastered this basic function. To point out engineering failing is not whining.

BTW he skipped over the truly unacceptable design errors, like a suspension that rolls and bounces while being harsh, regen that cuts out when turning causing the car to ACCELERATE into the turns, and an ACC that until recent firmware would panic from shadows and engage full regen at 50 mph causing potential accidents. Or that whining to and it's a price of driving?

I guess it's not a cause to see a shrink if you blind yourself to the faults that exist?

My lease is up shortly and honestly I will not miss the i3 except for the interior design. This is the first car I've ever owned that I actively avoided driving and only had 11k miles on a 2 year 24k lease.

spiraling, OK so you and donallen don't like your i3s and are looking for some greener grass, fair enough, but let's be sure to critique the i3 on matters of substance like the regen disconnecting on bumps and the work-in-progress adaptive cruise control, not trivialities like the rearview mirror dimmer. Maybe when the i3.1 comes out it will have addressed many of these weaknesses, but till then I will put up with the i3's quirks, and console myself with the many many delights of driving a fine piece of engineering (overall). I'll keep it.
On balance I love my i3 but I am open to persuasion, so I recently test drove a Chevy Bolt, and was . . . . not persuaded. Yes it has a super-cool rearview mirror camera that really puts a smile on your face, and it does have driver-adjustable regen, yay!; but mash it from stop, or even on the open road, and . . . . meh — it's no BMW. Try to flip it around a pothole, well, just don't. The Bolt is a fine car, it is extraordinary value and I hope it sells in the millions, but in the end it is no BMW, let alone an i3. When you or donallen find a better car please let us know.

i3an said:
spiraling, OK so you and donallen don't like your i3s and are looking for some greener grass, fair enough, but let's be sure to critique the i3 on matters of substance like the regen disconnecting on bumps and the work-in-progress adaptive cruise control, not trivialities like the rearview mirror dimmer. Maybe when the i3.1 comes out it will have addressed many of these weaknesses, but till then I will put up with the i3's quirks, and console myself with the many many delights of driving a fine piece of engineering (overall). I'll keep it.
On balance I love my i3 but I am open to persuasion, so I recently test drove a Chevy Bolt, and was . . . . not persuaded. Yes it has a super-cool rearview mirror camera that really puts a smile on your face, and it does have driver-adjustable regen, yay!; but mash it from stop, or even on the open road, and . . . . meh — it's no BMW. Try to flip it around a pothole, well, just don't. The Bolt is a fine car, it is extraordinary value and I hope it sells in the millions, but in the end it is no BMW, let alone an i3. When you or donallen find a better car please let us know.

i3an: I will give the i3 all the due it deserves. It is a great balance of electric range with a REX that is great for extending and using the electric car to its max. I switched from a Leaf and rejected other cars because of the i3/Rex combo. Also the interior design, fit/finish it superior to all the options, including the ridiculously priced Tesla Model S (which I reject because for the price it doesn't have the refinement of a Honda much less a BMW/Audi). And I get that many many i3 owners love their car. More power to them.

But to just pretend that details that were badly done should be ignore, because, why exactly? I get a BMW/Audi and expect German refinement and detail. The i3 is an innovative car, but unlike the i8 they just dropped the ball on some simple details. And some of the operational flaws (like a highly overactive steering column, accelerating into a curve, ACC that just dropped into full regen) are downright safety issue.

I haven't test driven the Chevy Bolt, but even the sub-par Volt had a better overall ride quality than the i3. And yes I know it is a city car, but that doesn't excuse all of its suspension flaws. And although it doesn't have the range or the Rex my co-workers VW Golf EV has a much more refined ride and drive response than the i3. And costs less.

If Tesla ever manages to make the Model 3 at $40-50K range I am guessing it will be a much better option than the i3. Model S/X aren't work the asking price, but the Model 3 will be. And for the price the Chevy Bolt on paper is a superior car to the i3 IMHO. I just don't want to deal with the Chevy dealer the first time I have an issue, at least the BMW dealers around my area are well trained and knowledgeable. I can just imagine what a Bolt repair will be like.

To set the record straight, the i3 does not accelerate into a curve, but it can go into coast mode and stop decelerating, but it does not accelerate! The only time it will accelerate is if it is going downhill in that situation. The same thing happens if you go over a bump. They do this for a safety reason and longevity of the drivetrain to prevent the wheel(s) from locking or accelerating and thus having a big difference when they hit the ground again. That can disrupt the car's stability lots more than just keeping the regen the same.

While BMW tests their cars in many places...a good portion of it is done in their home country where the roads tend to be smoother than some other places...the suspension works great there for the most part. Some of the ride characteristics of the vehicle will depend on the wheel/tire choices you make, with the 20" tire package some people buy for the looks, meaning that the ride is somewhat compromised over that on the 19" standard option. Buying the 20" package because of the looks, especially then complaining about its traction, ride, etc. when the weather gets cold or snowy, is misguided.

I'll clarify: if I have regen engaged (slowing down) and come to a turn when the wheel is turned the regen breaking STOPS which means on an angle the speed no longer slows down OR will start speeding up on a hill. This behavior would be equivalent to breaks cutting out when you turn the wheel.

None of my other electric cars (including Leaf) did this. This had nothing to do with wheels leaving the ground. That's is a red herring. This is simple breaking due to regen cutting out because I turned the wheel. No matter what the engineering reasons this is NOT safe nor acceptable driving dynamics.

Most race drivers will tell you that going into a corner with the brakes on is destabilizing...you brake before the turn. A Leaf or Prius doesn't have the race pedigree that BMW has. Admittedly, not everyone is a race driver (nor am I), but having full control of the brakes in a turn, anticipating your path, the computer can't anticipate that, you must. The stability control will help keep the car going in the intended direction, but it does that by selectively braking an individual wheel if you overdo it.

I think you are missing my point, it's not about race cars and cornering. I do not drive my i3 like I drive my sport cars. I3 is about as far as you can get from a race car as possible. When regen/single pedal driving is used to decelerate like brakes turning the wheel SHOULD NOT disengage breaking via regen. At slow turns breaks are commonly used while turning. And sudden disengaging of regen is not acceptable. Control systems must behave consistently and predictably.

donallen said:
I have a 2014 i3 BEV. My opinion of this car has gone steadily downhill since taking delivery in Jan. 2015.

1. The ride is ridiculously harsh...
2. The performance in the snow is awful...
3. Ever taken your i3 to a carwash?
4. The intermittent windshield wiper rain sensor...
5. The rear-view mirror dimmer...

1. It's harsh, but knew this when I test drove it. I like the sporty feel and its personal preferences anyways.
2. YES! It's scary in the snow, especially going downhill. I found out you can put the car into N, and the regen will be disabled. Try it out when the weather is better, practice it.
3. Don't have an issue with putting it to N and letting the rollers push the car.
4. Agree. My Audi does a much better job. I find myself manually wiping more often. BMW can do a better job. It's my first BMW, so not sure if their other cars are similar.
5. Haven't had an issue. Don't notice it not working.

Good feedbacks!

Hopefully BMW can read the above and improve upon a good platform to work with.

MikeS said:
BMW can adjust the wiper sensitivity if its a problem!

It would be instructive to read the complete context of the posts. It is not a sensitivity problem, it is a detection problem. Whether set to low or high sensitivity the rain sense algorithm gets easily confused and either thinks there is a lot more rain or does not detect rain on the windshield. Making it more sensitive will not help.

My audis and i8 on the other hand seem to have no issues whatsoever figuring out how hard it is raining.

jadnashuanh said:
Depending on how dirty your windshield is, that could be a factor.

I keep my windshields almost spotless. And no sensors are not impacted by dirts unless you are talking about thick coat of mud that would also obscure view. Btw most windshields with new wiper blades are rather clean when it rains. This is simply an engineering failure. No need to come up with elaborate potential explanations.

1. The ride is ridiculously harsh...
2. The performance in the snow is awful...
3. Ever taken your i3 to a carwash?
4. The intermittent windshield wiper rain sensor...
5. The rear-view mirror dimmer...

1. The ride is not ridiculously harsh. No way. If you think the ride is harsh, you will have only driven cars with ridiculously soft ride.
2. No snow here :)
3. My i3 has been to a carwash regularly, and never had any problem.
4. Intermittent rain sensor is fine. Maybe clean your windshield more often.
5. Rearview dimmer works well. Have you added window tinting, maybe that is the problem?

Back