Home charger installation query?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMJ125

Hi

So I am looking into who to use to install a home charger and I have a few questions. I have made contact with Chargedev, Chargemaster, Podpoint, Rolec and the Phoenix Works. I understand that some have their own chargers and others fit Rolec etc... and that some subcontract and others use their own employees for installation.

I am interested in whether anyone has had a good or bad experience of any of these or used anyone else.

I live in a 1950s house - will have to pay someone to cable from meter/fuse box (in middle of house) to outside of the house - so that's not straightforward but have also been reading about whether the fuse box at 100amps would be enough. Whether you need to create separate electric unit near fuse box for the car (cannot remember what that's called) and also whether I would have to speak to Western Power. I know it all depends on what other electric usage you have in your house and whether there is space in the fuse box. What I don't want to do is buy an electric car and then realise it will cost be 5k to install a charger!

I am no electrician so would be interested to know if anyone has had a tricky installation and who they used and would they recommend them. I am not interested in the cheapest price it's more about doing the job properly and giving great advice.

Thanks in advance.

I got an ABL charger fitted by Phoenix Works (not the cheapest solution but had heard very good things about both) and I can't recommend them enough. He had to upgrade some wiring to the consumer unit before he ran the cable to the charger as it was too old and not up to spec. All done quickly and very tidily.

As an aside, the charging unit is in the car...the EVSE is essentially, a smart switch, but other than that, doesn't have much in it.

100A service could be marginal, depending on what else in the home is powered by electricity. Right now, the i3, in most markets, is limited to a maximum of 7400w, so depending on the supply voltage, to max out the i3's capacity, at 240vac, you'd need a unit capable of in the low 30A. In the USA, that would require a 40A circuit up to a unit capable of 32A to allow for the 120% rules. That varies by country.

I have a Rolec 240V x 16A intalled in my garage. Works pretty well but I've been using it only for less than a couple of weeks (basically since I got my brand new i3) so it's not a great statistic.

I purchased the 16A version because in Italy 7.4kW / fast recharge is optional (1,800 USD !!!) and it was not worthed for me conisdering that the car is going to be used 99% of the in the city for less than 30km (20 miles) a day and that I can easily recharge at home.

It has been installed by an electrician with a 25A circuit braker in the apartment where the power line starts. Also , the Rolec 16A came with its own 20A circuit breaker on board.

Back