Which i3 have Quick DC charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardoc

Which i3 models have quick DC charing options (CCS) available? Do they come standard with certain trim levels?
Is there a way to determine if they have the CCS via the VIN# code? I see that all models indicate "Fast charging DC alternating" even those with non-CCS chargers.

WHat country are you in and what model years are you interested in? CCS (DC) charging has been standard for, I think, MY 2016-2017 in the USA.

Sardoc said:
Is there a way to determine if they have the CCS via the VIN# code? I see that all models indicate "Fast charging DC alternating" even those with non-CCS chargers.
Isn't "4U7 FAST CHARGING DC" from a VIN report the indication that CCS is included?

Art,
That's my understanding, yes. I verified this once on a 2014 model. The VIN report had S4U7 and the car did indeed have the fast charging option.
Also, if you look down on the VIN report, you'll see:

S4U8 Rapid charging, alternating current

I'm not sure what that means but both the S4U7 and S4U8 seem to be on the same VIN report. I have never seen one without the other.

To the OP:
Plug your VIN into this checker and it will return all the options on the car, so you can see if it has DC fast charging or not.
https://www.bmwvin.com

theothertom said:
S4U8 Rapid charging, alternating current

I'm not sure what that means but both the S4U7 and S4U8 seem to be on the same VIN report. I have never seen one without the other.
My interpretation of S4U8 is the inclusion of a second 3.7 kW on-board charger, the KLE. All North American i3's have this option but this option isn't standard in all markets. So without a KLE, the maximum charging power would by only 3.7 kW.

My interpretation of S4U8 is the inclusion of a second 3.7 kW on-board charger, the KLE. All North American i3's have this option but this option isn't standard in all markets. So without a KLE, the maximum charging power would by only 3.7 kW.

Quite true. In Italy for example is still an option (€1600 by the way) ;)

Sardoc said:
can anyone confirm that all 2015 i3 come with CCS/SAE fast charging?

Depends on the market... in the US all 2015 i3's were standard with DCFC... in Canada DCFC was optional on all 2015's.

If you're looking at the car, it's obvious when you open up the charging port door. If it doesn't have CCS capability, the port in the car is a simple round jack...if it has CCS, it has that plus an oval 2-pin extension below it so that either plug will fit. If you have the VIN, you can run it through one of the decoding websites, and view the options on that particular car.

Back