Thinking of asking BMW to code

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSP

Hi Guys,

I have a 2016 Rex

I have been thinking of the following :

a) Unlocking the additional 2 liters of fuel.
b) Enabling REX on-demand after 75% SOC
c) Programming the key remote for opening frunk
d) Turning off radio/media when door is opened.
e) Many other conveniences, achieved by coding

Question : Is there a regulatory (read govt.) reason as to why these option are not configurable by BMW ?

I plan to ask BMW Canada, reason if in Canada there is no regulatory reason to prevent coding, then when I have paid for 'i3' and the features are available, then they should help code it. I am willing to pay a fee for this effort.

Reason : If BMW codes the car it will not void warranty.

Anybody asked BMW Canada the above question.

Thanx

CSP
--

The only reason to disable hold mode in canada can be 'dont care' attitude . ( or r they getting some carbon credits. doubt)
Once the configuration profile was made for US , there needs to be a reason , to have a separate one for Canada.
Customer satisfaction or a better product is not apparently one of them.

I stay in hilly region in CA. without the hold mode , the rex is only Real emergency, slow move extender.
But BMW could care less. The reasons can be 10 to do this. But they are selling a software crippled product....and the marketing does not match that.

BMW's design goal on the i3 REx, and they really didn't want to produce it, was to eliminate range anxiety to make it easier to sell, and to be used in an emergency to get you home. They really only wanted the i3 to be a BEV. Within months of being released in the USA, the description of how the US version of the REx worked was on their webpage, and had been beaten around in the forums, so people should not have been surprised about how it worked. Given that all modern BMW's are rolling networked computers, BMW does customize its operation to suit local desires and/or regulatory necessities. IOW, even though potentially capable of operation all over the world, the cars are not delivered with the same capabilities in different markets. It's normal for people to want everything, but IMHO, you bought the car as delivered...if you don't like it, don't buy it. If you didn't know, you did not do your due diligence. WIth that in mind, I see no reason why BMW would make any of these changes to your car for free. Now, they could, rationally, let you pay for it, if you wanted if it didn't break any agreements with the local government, you could learn to do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it for you. Just don't be bent out of shape should you get a software update that it wipes out those changes and you have to do it over again. By making all i3's the same in the USA, BMW can sell the same car in any state rather than having two versions. Or, have issues with local governments, should someone from say a CARB state want to buy one that was different than those sold there, since they're all alike. THis lets BMW send the cars where they're needed without having to reprogram them or worry about the Feds giving them grief.

I know lots of people don't agree with this train of thought, but I think it aligns with BMW's thoughts, and while I don't necessarily agree, they have every right to make those decisions, as do you, should you decide to buy it. One thing you'll find on every corporate webpage for a car manufacturer, and in their manuals, is a phrase something like "subject to change...". Buyer beware. While if it happens, CARB will go down screaming and kicking, until that happens (probably unlikely), this sort of thing will continue. CA is the largest single car market in the USA by state...what they want, they get. I do not know of any manufacturer today that makes different models for sale in CA and the rest of the non-CARB states of the USA. That Canada decided to follow, that's their decision...compared to the US market, they're a drop in the bucket...i.e., not that much clout with corporate in Germany.

Back