Was billed by EVgo for free charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4055

So I leased a new 2017 BMW i3 that came with a 24 month no cost charging program with ChargeNow DC Fast. I enrolled and activated the two cards that came with my car.

I got a confirmation email saying I was successfully enrolled and clicked on the "Find participating EVgo Stations near you" link to filter and find the station near my house that supported free charging as part of this program.

At the end of the first month I was billed by EVgo for every single minute I have charged at that station, along with a charging summary in the email. No charging activity shown when I log into my ChargeNow account. I never charged for more than 30 minutes which is shown in the charging summary and never charged twice in a row either.

I called EVgo to figure out what was going on and spoke to an upper level manager who told me I was enrolled in both the free ChargeNow DC Fast program AND the "ChargeNow by EVgo Pay As You Go" plan, (which is a discounted charging price offer for BMW i3 drivers to charge at EVgo stations. Link here: www.evgo.com/enrollment/bmw-pay-as-you-go-dcl2/)

He said that's why I have been billed because I was enrolled in both the free ChargeNow DC Fast program and this "Pay As You Go" plan.

I seriously don't remember signing up for the Pay As You Go plan and I couldn't find a confirmation email for signing up for this plan either. I have no idea how they got my credit card number either.
I felt unsatisfied with his answer so I called EVgo back just to ask another service representative and now she told me its not possible to enroll in both plans under one vin number, and that even if I was enrolled in both plans I shouldn't have been charged because EVgo calls ChargeNow to check if I am enrolled in the free BMW charging program before they decide to bill me or not.

So my question is, is anyone enrolled in the free ChargeNow DC Fast program AND the EVgo Pay As You Go plan?
and if so were you ever billed for charging at a ChargeNow DC Fast station using your ChargeNow card?

Yes I'm enrolled in both (I think). Gave them my CC number in case the free card didn't work. Do they call that pay as you go ? Haven't got a CC statement yet but no email saying I've been charged.

How long have you had the car?

I was in a similar situation, knowing that I was enrolled in the free BMW charging program but unaware if I was dually enrolled in some other paying plan and then getting hit with a pretty huge bill for every minute charged at $17 per hour.

Apparently if you are enrolled in any other plan along with the free plan, then the paying plan always overrides the free plan thus never being able to get a free charge with your key card. This was verified over a 3 hour phone call with EVgo. Seems very fishy because nowhere does it state this!

dang i just test my first chage via EVgo today and it worked. now as i checked this thread and i got concerned.

im checking my profile and i found that im not enrolled, i just add my 7 digit VIN and it says i need to wait at least 2 days.

EDIT - i just called EVgo and i dont have any record on them. they asked my phone number, assuming its the same i am using on chargepoint card and it says no record.

im wondering what is the default charging time you are getting? mine is automatic 30mins which is about right as bmw giving us for free.

Mostly 30 mins. But i have seen the new big EVgo 100Kwh charger , showing one hour countdown.
Not sure of 1 hour was free , or they will charge after 30 mins.
I left in 15 mins, so dono.
No charges so far

ad78 said:
im wondering what is the default charging time you are getting? mine is automatic 30mins which is about right as bmw giving us for free.

If thats in case maybe the OP is getting 1hr. The pocket says, we have free 30mins on the dc fast charge and 1hr for level 2. This is EVgo. I dont see EVgo level 2 yet.
Yesterday i completed the 30mins then took it out and scan my card again.. another 10mins. So far no charge or email notifications..

EVMan said:
Mostly 30 mins. But i have seen the new big EVgo 100Kwh charger , showing one hour countdown.
Not sure of 1 hour was free , or they will charge after 30 mins.
I left in 15 mins, so dono.
No charges so far

ad78 said:

Back