Extended warranty

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauljohntaylor

I have a 2014 with 62k miles and everything has been great. When I got my last covered service at 50k there were pages of work done, mainly software related but leads me to wonder how much future services will be.

Anyone have an extended warranty or information to share?

I avoid extended warranties, especially from aftermarket vendors. Since your car has 62K I assume you'd be looking at aftermarket. They're just insurance polices. I guess there will always be software updates, although I would hope they would be few and far between as the bugs get worked out of the current software. Truth be told, there's not much to go wrong with an EV so the after warranty maintenance costs should be minimal. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

What did you end up doing? My dealer tells me that a battery problem can run $30,000+ reapir bill. He said buy the extended warranty or sell the car now. My warranty expires next month. TIA for your info!

EH2ZEE said:
What did you end up doing? My dealer tells me that a battery problem can run $30,000+ reapir bill. He said buy the extended warranty or sell the car now. My warranty expires next month. TIA for your info!

Your dealer is just trying to get the massive profit that comes with the aftermarket warranty they're trying to sell you.

The battery warranty on all US-sold i3s is 8 years or 100,000 miles, so you still have plenty of time/distance on that warranty.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/bmwusa/warranty-books/2014/2014_i3_SW.pdf page 17

BMW even has one of the best "range loss" warranties of any EV - spelled out right in the warranty - at least 70% of original capacity at 8 years/100,000 miles.

EH2ZEE said:

Wow! That's some real dealer BS right there.

Back