PressClub USA: The New BMW i3 and First Ever BMW i3s.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Additional details and pictures here can be seen here:
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/28/2018-bmw-i3-announced-new-i3s-performance-model/

...New for 2018, BMW is offering a sportier version of the i3 called the i3s. It is more powerful than the standard i3 (which leaves output unchanged at 170 horsepower, 184 pound-feet of torque), at 184 horsepower and 199 pound-feet of torque. Its track is wider by 1.57 inches, with a 0.4-inch lower ride height, providing a more aggressive stance. The i3s's sport suspension includes unique springs, dampers, and anti-roll bars. The sporty model gets 20-inch light-alloy wheels that are a half-inch wider than the standard i3's shoes. The i3s has a number of exterior design accents to set it apart, as well as blue seat belts inside the car.

The Sport driving mode offered in the i3s tightens the steering and sharpens acceleration, providing a 0-60 mile-per-hour time of 6.8 seconds, an improvement of 0.4 seconds compared to the standard i3. The i3s also has a higher top speed of 100 miles per hour, compared to the standard model's 93-mph limit. While the i3s isn't doing anything majorly transformative in terms of performance, it's nice that BMW is acknowledging there's more fun to be had while still being conscientious about consumption....

I wonder if suspension components from the i3s will be swappable with the 2013- 2017 i3...

According to Car&Driver 2018 BMWI3S with bulky weight of 3005 lbs is doing 0-60 in 6,6 sec. But the earliest 2014 BMWI3 with weight of 2635 lbs is doing 0-60 in 6.5 sec .Rex with weight at 2899 lbs is about 0-60 at 7.0 sec.The question is how we deal with tires choices none !!! 1summer or all season tires 1too .2winter .2018 i 3 S front wheels 20x5,5”. Rear 20 x 6” why BMW is introducing all different tires sizes on the same vehicle ??????? Owner of 2014 BEV with the tires the same size for winter Blizzak& summer Ecopia to be able rotate them the old way how we did for 100 years......

You want performance, you pay for it both in cost and convenience. Wider tires can help with your cornering g's if you want to pay for it. Based on what previous versions had, the front 5.5" wheel may not be the same as it is on the non-'s' versions, since any that had mistakenly installed one on the front quickly found it trashed things. They could do this on the new one with either a different offset, or they changed the suspension/axle to allow for that (small, but critical) extra width. Bigger tires, wheels, heavier duty wiring to account for a higher current draw, and probably cooling, all add up.

Lesterbmwi3 said:
According to Car&Driver 2018 BMWI3S with bulky weight of 3005 lbs is doing 0-60 in 6,6 sec. But the earliest 2014 BMWI3 with weight of 2635 lbs is doing 0-60 in 6.5 sec .Rex with weight at 2899 lbs is about 0-60 at 7.0 sec.
I'm pretty certain that the weights that you've used for comparison aren't the same types of weight. Some vehicle weights are for empty vehicles, others include a standard weight driver, some include equipment that was optional in one model year but mandatory in later model years, etc. Because of this, I have found it difficult to compare weights among i3's of different model years.

For example, a 2017 U.S. BEV with a 94 Ah battery pack was listed as something like 300 pounds heavier than a 2016 U.S. BEV with a 60 Ah battery pack. Yet a 2017 U.K. BEV with a 94 Ah battery pack was listed as ~100 pounds heavier than a 2016 U.K. BEV with a 60 Ah battery pack. I suspect that BMW for the first time in the U.S. included a standard weight driver in its 2017 weight listings.

I doubt that the i3s BEV is almost 400 pounds heavier than a 2014 i3 BEV.

I've found that the initial release of specs tends to be for the Euro version, and before it actually gets delivered in the USA, those get tweaked to our norms. This is one reason why EV range can differ in the initial press release...the Eurozone rates things from a different test, and, at least until things change, their test will always show a significantly longer range than those officially tested for USA release...same car, different numbers, neither wrong unless taken out of context.

Back