AM Radio

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure it's not worth the effort. They left it off because of nasty RF interference with AM radio. Just for the ell of it, I bought a good quality AM radio and tried it all over the interior. Terrible interference!

I coded AM once and it worked without any issue. The coding was reset during a service, and I didn't code it back because I don't really listen to AM,

jakecturner said:
So it doesn't have AM radio functionality? That's kind of a big deal. Does it have HD radio?

Correct, the car does not have AM radio.

It does have FM and satellite radio, I assume these are HD.

AM is in the radio, but as delivered, it is not enabled via the programming. Reception was not up to BMW's standards. It's hard in a vehicle that doesn't have a metal body. Yes, it does have HD radio.

jadnashuanh said:
AM is in the radio, but as delivered, it is not enabled via the programming. Reception was not up to BMW's standards. It's hard in a vehicle that doesn't have a metal body.
Using the Bimmercode iPhone app connected to our i3 by a Vgate iCar OBD WiFi dongle, I easily enabled AM radio. I haven't tried listening to AM radio while driving, but others have reported that electrical interference hasn't been a serious problem, but with less metal shielding, interference might be significant under some circumstance.

So not having AM radio enabled by default doesn't have to be a big deal.

franciscogk said:
So
How did you turn the AM Radio on with Bimmercode ? Please
I don't recall exactly, but based on BimmerCode's demo mode:
• Select the Headunit module.
• Select "AM Radio" in the "Other" section.
• Click "Active".

If "AM Radio" is not a choice in the Headunit module:
• Click "Expert mode".
• Select the "3002" section.
• Select "RADIO_BAND_KW".
• Click "aktiv".

:D
alohart said:
franciscogk said:
So
How did you turn the AM Radio on with Bimmercode ? Please
I don't recall exactly, but based on BimmerCode's demo mode:
• Select the Headunit module.
• Select "AM Radio" in the "Other" section.
• Click "Active".

If "AM Radio" is not a choice in the Headunit module:
• Click "Expert mode".
• Select the "3002" section.
• Select "RADIO_BAND_KW".
• Click "aktiv".
Thanks Art,
Worked great . Regular AM is rather narrowband like in the New MINIs and BMWs , optimized for Talk Radio but ; once you tune it to a HD AM Station the audio comes up beautiful , almost FM Quality :D

Back