Survey on home charging stations (part 2)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flarcos

Good afternoon,

First of all thanks to all the people who have already participated in the survey I posted last week. I have reached over 100 answers and would like to make it to 500 if possible to present some valid results. I have understood I made a mistake by sending the survey in English and I now have versions in German, French, Spanish and Italian that I have distributed.

This is the original in English: https://goo.gl/forms/c2POgh71qOJTOR5H2

Again I know this is not innovative but I just want to gather information as to how the users of electric vehicles are embracing the new concepts of transportation.

As I said I will offer the results to the people who have participated and I would like to thank you all for the support. I am here again for any questions on the Nissan Leaf (old generation) and customer concerns! I know this forum focuses on the BMW i3 but I have much deeper knowledge on the technology from the Leaf.

Thanks a lot!

I am retired and drive our plug-in hybrids anytime I want. Usually daily but really it is trip driven.

I am only interested in motels, hotels, and bread-and-breakfast places with plug-in options. L1 is the minimum or L2 is preferred as part of the staying there, not a separate fee. Having a fast DC charger within 3-5 miles, even if for a fee, works too.

We have two plug-in hybrids:
  • 2014 BMW i3-REx with fast DC charger option and 75 mile EV range. Primary around home town.
  • 2017 Prius Prime with 16A limited, L2 charger option. It is also the preferred cross-country car with only 25 mile EV range.

FYI, I moved our L2 charger from our home to our favorite, shopping area, in an alley behind the pharmacy we use. But I also shop at their grocery store; a cleaner; and restaurant/bar. The L2 charger works perfectly for a 30-60 minute shopping or beverage break.

Coming to my home to use an L2 charger, assuming the parking problem could be solved, leaves open 'what does the driver do while getting a charge.' The right answer is to co-locate L2 chargers with shopping centers and at least one fast DC charger in town. As for home, I often spend at least 12 hours at home and only need an L1 charger.

Bob Wilson

Back