Will this EVSE work with the i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcdonal86

I am about to have a home EVSE installed (I have not bought an EV yet, but am leaning heavily towards the i3). Any ideas if this will work with the BMW i3?

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/hcs-50-hcs-50P-40-amp-ev-charging-station

I realize the i3 only utilizes a 7.7kW charging rate, but if I am going to go through the expense of having one of these systems installed, I want to "future proof" it, at least for the next generation of EVs.

I did the same thing.

I had the electrician run larger cable for future projects.

I am glad that I did.

The chargers are getting bigger.

amcdonal86 said:
I am about to have a home EVSE installed (I have not bought an EV yet, but am leaning heavily towards the i3). Any ideas if this will work with the BMW i3?

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/hcs-50-hcs-50P-40-amp-ev-charging-station

I realize the i3 only utilizes a 7.7kW charging rate, but if I am going to go through the expense of having one of these systems installed, I want to "future proof" it, at least for the next generation of EVs.

We're doing the same... installing a 3-phase Type 2 EVSE (32A each phase) while will allow a vehicle to charge at 22kW.

The 2017 i3 is limited to 11kW (3-phase) but if we get another vehicle in future, 22kW will keep us happy for a long time - it will effectively be charging at 160km per hour.

It's a shame the US (and Japan) is going to be stuck with the single phase Type 1 plugs for AC EVSE charging... it's quite limiting, especially for a household EVSE.

As long as the EVSE has the right plug on it, it will work on the i3, or, for that matter, nearly any EV sold in the USA. In the USA, BMW (and nearly everyone else) uses the J1772 plug for level 1 and 2 EVSEs. The EVSE outputs a pilot signal announcing how much power it has available, and then the car takes what it wants, up to the maximum it can handle...sort of like a smarter plug. Just like you can plug in a 25W nightlight or a toaster into a 15A circuit, you can plug an i3 into an EVSE that has more (or less) output available, and they'll both get along.

3-phase power is almost unheard of in a residence in the USA, so J1772 tends to discount that possibility. It's not common in many commercial locations, either. 240VAC, single phase, with a neutral to provide 120vac as well is the norm in the USA for residential and many light commercial facilities. You only tend to see 3-phase power in larger industrial situations, or high power users.

Back