SAE Combo to J1772 adapter?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfek

I did a search and didn't see anything, so I'm wondering does such a thing exist? Obviously it wouldn't charge faster than a level 2, but many of the chargers in town are combo only which unfortunately will not work with our 2014 i3. Thanks!

A 'combo' plug is either a Type 1 CCS (Combo) or a Type 2 CCS (Combo2)... and it's called 'combo' because it combines a Type 1 or Type 2 AC socket with two DC pins beneath it. The power comes in via these two pins - the plug above it is purely for signalling, etc. and not charging.

This has a nice summary of all the types around the world: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/planning-and-investment/planning/planning-for-electric-vehicles/national-guidance-for-public-electric-vehicle-charging-infrastructure/charging-point-connectors-and-socket-outlets/

The Type 1 socket is purely for single-phase AC charging (US, Japan) and a Type 2 socket is for single- or three-phase AC charging (Europe, etc). In Australia we are soon to follow New Zealand by switching from Type 1 to Type 2 architecture.

You cannot get an adapter to convert DC (combo) to AC. Not possible at all.

You also can't get an adapter to convert Type 1 CCS <-> Type 2 CCS due to safety restrictions & locking requirements.

A CCS unit only produces DCV (other than control signals and interlock). It DOES use the acv inputs, but superimposes some digital serial messages on it to help control the charging rate and other logic to safely charge the car.

In theory, it might be possible to build a CHADeMo output to a CCS unit, but you'd need a computer in between to translate the signals. The cost would likely be fairly high, and the usefulness not that great as CCS units become more plentiful. FWIW, many of the DC fast charging systems got upgraded to include CCS capability, primarily by just adding a logic board and a second cord/plug. You need that logic controller.

jadnashuanh said:
You need that logic controller.

Except I think the OP is asking whether he can charge his car (which doesn't have the DC socket section - ie. AC only) with an adapter to convert the DC output of the CCS unit into an AC input, plugging it in to the Type 1 socket.

Pretty sure that's impossible for *normal* humans (ie. the sort of person likely to damage the charger and/or car by trying something silly).

If it were possible you'd need a DC to AC inverter, then you'd have to limit the total input to a single phase at 7.4kW as that's all the i3 can handle. Seems like an utterly pointless exercise. Best off either adding the DC fast charging to the car, or getting a car with DC fast charging if it matters that much. OP should have researched the vehicle a bit better before buying it... ;)

Yup...hard to say what was really wanted, but a CCS connector at a CCS unit cannot be used unless the vehicle has built-in CCS capability. While the car does have ac-dc converter inside to charge from a level 1 or 2 EVSE, it cannot handle high voltage DC inputs without the logic and connector built-into the car. The DC-AC logic in the car drives the motor, and isn't configured to charge (well, there's a DC-DC converter there, too, that powers the 12vdc stuff).

The onboard charger on some cars can be powered by 240 volt AC OR 240 volt DC

This has been documented by EVTV and some folks in Europe.

It won’t charge any faster but may be a useful behavior to document as j1772 becomes rarer in the wild and free CCS becomes more common.

Back