Pedestrian alert "sound" on the USA i3??

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CCJ said:
Did the USA get pedestrian alert fake noise coming from the i3 like the europeans did? If so, how can we deactivate it?

Not sure about the USA, but here in the Antipodes it's enabled by default. Fortunately it can be toggled on/off in the iDrive menu and (fortunately) it can also be set to one of the 8 programmable memory buttons.

I've done just this. I can toggle it on/off with a button press - no need to navigate to the menu in iDrive. The downside is that when it's deactivated there is a big yellow light on the instrument cluster warning you that it's off. :-/

CCJ said:
Did the USA get pedestrian alert fake noise coming from the i3 like the europeans did?
Not yet. I think the U.S. requirement for these environmental noise pollution devices has been postponed. A better solution than an automatic noise-maker that is always on below a certain speed (~18 mph?) would be a very gentle horn that the driver could use to alert pedestrians, cyclists, etc.

nitramluap said:
CCJ said:
Did the USA get pedestrian alert fake noise coming from the i3 like the europeans did? If so, how can we deactivate it?

Not sure about the USA, but here in the Antipodes it's enabled by default. Fortunately it can be toggled on/off in the iDrive menu and (fortunately) it can also be set to one of the 8 programmable memory buttons.

I've done just this. I can toggle it on/off with a button press - no need to navigate to the menu in iDrive. The downside is that when it's deactivated there is a big yellow light on the instrument cluster warning you that it's off. :-/
That's pretty cool. What does it sound like for you guys?

It’s so subtle you barely notice it. I only turn it off if it’s the middle of the night so I can sneak out in (almost) total silence - the motor isn’t totally silent anyway.

It sounds like the background hum from the Starship Enterprise. Not annoying at all.

nitramluap said:
It’s so subtle you barely notice it. I only turn it off if it’s the middle of the night so I can sneak out in (almost) total silence - the motor isn’t totally silent anyway.

It sounds like the background hum from the Starship Enterprise. Not annoying at all.
O nice. That's cool

alohart said:
CCJ said:
Did the USA get pedestrian alert fake noise coming from the i3 like the europeans did?
Not yet. I think the U.S. requirement for these environmental noise pollution devices has been postponed. A better solution than an automatic noise-maker that is always on below a certain speed (~18 mph?) would be a very gentle horn that the driver could use to alert pedestrians, cyclists, etc.
Thanks for the reply for the USA

Can this feature be enabled in the US i3s using codeing ?
I frequent my local train station large parking , when people unknowingly block while walking .
I have to turn on my music, so they know , i am being blocked. Not their fault.

I think that I read the pedestrian warning actually requires some additional hardware, and it may also require programming for it to be recognized and then work. I'm not sure, it's been awhile.

EVMan said:
Can this feature be enabled in the US i3s using codeing ?
I frequent my local train station large parking , when people unknowingly block while walking .
I have to turn on my music, so they know , i am being blocked. Not their fault.

It's really not that loud. Unless the environment is practically silent, and they have good hearing, they're barely going to notice. I just assume people may actually be hard of hearing so I don't expect 'noise' of any kind to be a useful way of warning people.

All I can say is thank goodness the BMW sound is pretty quiet. It increases slightly in volume (and the pitch changes) as you increase speed with it fading out entirely at about 20 mph.

The sound at the 1:19 mark in this video is what it sounds like: https://youtu.be/A_WmN2h_gCw?t=1m19s

Don't forget, this room is super silent so it's hard to appreciate how quiet the noise generator is but the tyres bumping over the rollers, the parking brake and the sound recorder's shoe squeaks give you an idea of the level.

Back