Buying my first i3 after all

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbles

Changed my mind and buying a 2014 i3 with 7k miles, mega w/ tech and drive assist and park. Does BMW offer any type of service where they will do a thorough inspection for me? I have a few days to get this looked over. Do these cars come with the charging cables? Do I need to establish an account to be able to use the community charging stations? I have a EVgo in my area. Thanks for any advice!

I take it that you're not buying it from a BMW dealer....

A BMW dealer will do an inspection for you at their normal labor rate. You might get them to check to see if it needs a software update or some other service campaign to be performed, and before the 4-years up, those would all be free, and some may be free afterwards if there were a recall.

All of the i3's come with a level 1 EVSE in the USA. This plugs into a 120vac circuit...ideally a dedicated 15A circuit, but it could share (but depending on what else is on that circuit, you may need to tell the car to lower the charge it takes. That, along with an air compressor with a can of tire repair goo in it and a screw in tow hook are the only extras normally in the front trunk.

I don't think the car will have any 'free' charging left, but you'd have to talk to BMW. You will want to get the BMW connect and emergency connect reassigned to you so that you can also use the BMW connect app to monitor and do some remote control things with the car. The BMW extra functions came free for 3-years, but you could transfer them and pay the annual fee if they are important to you.

New i3's come with the L1 charging cable but none of the used ones I looked at had it. I suspect the original owner sold it on eBay. Look on eBay and you'll see them offered. If you're in a large market you can try Craigslist. Congrats on your purchase!!

Thanks for the replies. Being it was a lease vehicle maybe it still has the original equipment? So I should look to get the BMW connect transferred to me or start a new account? What is an average price for the remote services? Also, how does this car perform in the winter time? Thanks and I will really need your help once I get the car so any advice recommendations will be greatly appreciated! I have test driven the vehicle and it seemed fun to drive and I do a lot of city driving through the day, usually about 30-35 miles per day.

If you bought the car from a BMW dealer, the car should have come with the charger. If it didn't , go back and ask for one. BMW connect is an app that allows you to control the car remotely. You should download the app and go from there. It's free.
Also download the PlugShare app which will show locations of public chargers. It also gives the cost, if any for charging. Some may be free

Assuming the previous owner used the remote app, unless you talk to the BMW dealership and they reset the account, you won't be able to log in to the VIN and the car. It needs to be registered to you. Shouldn't cost anything. They would need proof that you bought the car.

I bought my BMW i3-REx from a 3d party, reseller who picked it up from an auction. I asked them to take it to the local BMW dealer for any recalls ('Gosh darn Mr. Wilson, it is perfect.')

When I got to Huntsville, I dropped it off at the local dealer and asked them to check it out. I got two new tires, warranty, and bought two. I also learned the original tire patch kit had been used (and the history included a tire replaced) so I bought an after-market. We also did all the BMW VIN transfer of ownership which took longer than expected (they need to hire some Russians?)

Everything is good now but plan to visit the local BMW 'spa' and leave the car for a couple of days. Then have a good time!

Bob Wilson

WOW! Just got my car this morning and it reminds me of riding a hoover board they way it slows down! Seems fun and now down to learning some things. Even got owners manual with it. Does the charging cable lock like I heard the leaf does? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am on my fourth BMW.
2nd Electric Car.

Now I have a leased 2017 i3 REX.

Bottom line, car is perfect.

Works great.

Only less than 5,000 miles

Sor far, so good.

babbles said:
WOW! . . . Does the charging cable lock like I heard the leaf does? . . .
It wasn't until we got our second plug-in hybrid that my BMW i3-REx grin became a sly smile.

At my first public charging in Biltmore Park NC, a guy sitting on a bench and I struck up a brief conversation as he'd never seen one before. Then he mentioned,'Some people think it is fun to unplug these cars.'

So I used the keyfob to lock the car and confirmed the J1772 was locked too. Then I had supper while the sun set.

Bob Wilson

I notice the mileage left is fluctationg between 72 down to 69 and back up to 70-72, is there a reason for that? Is it recharging or something?

babbles said:
I notice the mileage left is fluctationg between 72 down to 69 and back up to 70-72, is there a reason for that? Is it recharging or something?
Ambient temperature plays a part in your maximum range. There may be other things that could affect it while 'off'.

Back