Car care

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanisLupus

LEATHER

I found an article with some info on leather as follows .

Below is a brief explanation of the frequent terms you will see in all US market BMW models’ order sheets:

Merino Leather

Usually in M models and BMW Individual orders. This is genuine fine-grain natural leather, it is dyed with no artificial coating applied.

Nappa Leather

This is an optional upgrade for the higher-level BMW models (such as the 5, 6 and 7-Series, X5 etc). It is a full-grain, un-split semi-aniline leather with a light clear coating on top of the surface for protection. Its grain quality is not as high as the Merino leather, and it is considered to be the 2nd highest quality leather in BMW cars.

Dakota/Nevada Leather

Used on most model’s base trims. This is a lower grade leather, usually corrected-grain or even created from the split, and coated with a synthetic polymer paint. It's surface is embossed with an artificial grain.

SensaTec

Used on some lower-level models’ base trims. Previously known as the “Leatherette”, this is not a real leather material. In fact this is just a vinyl material that tries to mimic the look and feel of the leather sheets. This fake leather material does not breath as good as leather, so you will feel hot after sitting on it for an extended period. However, it wears better than Merino/Nappa leather , is easier to clean and maintain, and it is not animal-based.

My thoughts are :

1. the dash trim , armrests and seat centers are Merino .

2. the remainder of the seats (incl. headrest) are Dakota

3. the steering wheel is Nappa

Based on the descriptions , I will clean all of them but condition the Merino only . I tried conditioning the steering wheel but it did not seem to absorb the conditioner therefore I think that it is Nappa .
Do you think that I should try conditioner on the Dakota (if that's what it is) ?

I'm not sure where you found this info, which is good info, but I've found Andy at Leatherz.com to be very helpful regarding leather care. He makes aftermarket leather stuff for BMW's.

Back