BMW i3 Remote App

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightsky

I can not google my way to the answer, so hopefully someone here would help.

In order for me to use the app for i3 on my phone, do I have to have Connected Drive option purchased with the car?

Or does the Remote App work on every i3?

You have no public contact information displayed, so I do not know where you are which could affect the answers to your questions. I am assuming that you are in the U.S.

BMW's iRemote app has been deprecated in the U.S. in favor of the BMW Connected app, so iRemote will no longer be updated and may quit working at any time.

My Connected Services and Real-Time Traffic Information (RTTI) subscriptions will expire at the end of this month, so I'll know more on 1 November about what these subscriptions provide. I think I understand what an RTTI subscription provides, but BMW's Connected Drive Website doesn't describe the Connected Services subscription in a way that I understand what it provides.

My assumption is that the BMW Connected app does not require a Connected Services subscription, but it does require a Connected Drive account. I believe that BMW must set up this account, so the BMW Connected app won't automatically work with any i3.

You do NOT need a current subscription to BMW Connected Services to use the app with your car, but you do need to register, at least in the USA. My subscription lapsed earlier this year, and the app has continued to work just fine. I do not get the RTT updates, but that isn't a big deal for me and I didn't use the weather app, or other services, so I don't feel that I'm missing anything. Your use/need pattern may differ, depending on circumstances.

jadnashuanh said:
You do NOT need a current subscription to BMW Connected Services to use the app with your car, but you do need to register, at least in the USA. My subscription lapsed earlier this year, and the app has continued to work just fine. I do not get the RTT updates, but that isn't a big deal for me and I didn't use the weather app, or other services, so I don't feel that I'm missing anything.
I won't miss RTTI after my subscription expires because the RTTI was frequently updated too late to be of value in Honolulu. I suspect it might be better in mainland locations.

I don't use the weather or other Connected Services apps, but I do value sending driving destinations to our car prior to departing because entering a destination on the fly while driving is just far too painful. Jim, without the Connected Services subscription, are you able to send a driving destination to your car? Is there functionality that you appreciated but lost without a Connected Services subscription?

Back