Beware: BMW charged me $750 for a smog check

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantdecide

Just returned my end of lease BMW.
It had a "service required" message on the screen, and when you go down the menu it said it required a "CA smog check".
A smog check cost under $50.
In this case the message was in error... I'm not even in CA. So it was a false error message.
I was anticipating BMW would at worst charge for a smog check... but more than likely just clear the error message as I'm not in CA anymore.

No, they charged $750.

I called BMW financial services and apparently any error message is charged $750 regardless of whether the error message is real or in this case is a false message, and regardless of the eventual cost to fix the problem (in this case likely 2 minutes of a technician's time).
Apparently there is nothing I can do to challenge this, it is just what I have to pay.

Needless to say, we're never getting another BMW.

Thanks everyone on this forum for helping over the years... I've read much more than I've posted.
Maybe I'll see you over at TMC sometime.

The message that was displayed isn't an error message; it's a service reminder that doesn't indicate any problem with the car that would require fixing.

I would fight that tooth and nail with BMW Financial Services. If you get no satisfaction from BMW, contact the consumer affairs division of your state Attorney General's office.

Good luck!

alohart said:
The message that was displayed isn't an error message; it's a service reminder that doesn't indicate any problem with the car that would require fixing.

Yep... and in this case a false one.

alohart said:
I would fight that tooth and nail with BMW Financial Services. If you get no satisfaction from BMW, contact the consumer affairs division of your state Attorney General's office.

Good luck!

Thanks.

I might actually try the dealer first here in Boulder... the owner was really nice and trying rally hard to make sure the return process was as easy and seemless as possible... only to be thwarted by BMW financial. I'm sure he would also be unhappy with BMW financial.
BMW financial was just reading from a script that said the contract says if that light is on it is $750.

Back