my car charges during day Not at night!!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranabmwi3

Hello,
So I've had my bmw i3 for a month and a half now, and the charger started giving me "power fault" sometimes after 2 minutes of plugging the charger, and other times after half an hour. I've got an electrician to check the whole electricity at my house, and nothing was wrong there.
It embarrasses me every time I get an electrician as it starts charging without a problem! Then at night I get the "power fault".
I've noticed that it doesn't show any problem charging during the day, but then at night it gets me crazy with the power fault thing.
The plug port didn't use to light red, it used to show me white light, but for 3 times I found it blinking red with a power fault light on on the charger.
If anybody have experienced this please help me!!
P.S. I have the car on immediate charge with high power as I have 240 V ... But there seem to be a departure time set by the car at 8:30 am which is when I usually leave to work. But its not activated.

To clarify a bit, the charger is in the car. When it detects a fault, it signals the fault by illuminating the red light around the power port. The cable that you plug into your car is an EVSE that implements safety and communicates with the charger in the car to attempt to provide the power that the charger has requested. Both your EVSE and your car's charger have reported faults.

If your EVSE's electrical circuit is unable to provide the power that the EVSE requires, it could signal a fault. AC Level 2 charging is designed for input voltages of 208 V (2 phases of 3 phase commercial power) and 240 V (both phases of residential power). EVSE's tolerate some deviation from these voltages, but if the input voltage were too low, the EVSE might signal a fault. I would check the EVSE input voltage when the fault occurs. Peak power usage is frequently in the early evening after workers return home and increase their power usage. This could cause the voltage to drop, but it would be unusual for it to drop enough to cause problems.

If the EVSE's input voltage is too low, the power that it provides to the car's charger might have insufficient voltage which could cause the charger to fault and display a red light around the charging port.

I would think that input voltage problems would be far less likely than a problem with your EVSE itself. If you haven't done so, try charging using a different EVSE like a public charging station or the i3's Occasional Use Cable which is a 120 V AC Level 1 EVSE. If charging proceeds normally, your AC Level 2 EVSE might be suspect.

Super thanks for the most detailed reply I've received.
I have to point some points for clarification:
1. I'm using the level 1 charger which was modified by the seller to be 240 V
2. Everything was working perfecly for a month and a half, but last week the weather was slightly cold, and since then I had this problem
3. The charger works perfectly during the day. And today for example it charged the car perfectly from 11 am til about 4:30 pm, which is about the time of sunset. We weren't home except for my youngest brother who double checked every hour and told me when it got to "power fault" after sunset.
4. No further electricity uses have been added at that time. As my brother had been using the same room the whole time we were out.

Hope I make everything clear from my side. As I really really really need a solution for this mess :(

What country are you located in?

NOt all 120vac devices will work properly at 240vac. AN EVSE has an internal power supply that might not like doubling the input voltage. This supply is what is used to power the logic and control signals and interlocks. Level 1 and level 2 has different meanings depending on the market. In the USA, a level 1 device is 120vac, a level 2 is 240vac, but that's not true where 220-240vac is the norm.

I'n from Jordan.. And the norm is 220-240 vac.
I would have thougw the same, that the doubling is not working for my charger. But it works really fine until now. The problem is that it would charge perfectly at 11 am, but won't work after 5 pm!!
I thought it was a circuit thing, but still no!!

FWIW, long time ago, I lived in Jordan for about a year...at that time, the power grid was very unstable. Hopefully, it's better now, but the voltage would vary radically, but was worse as people came home from work and the load increased. You might want to check the inlet voltage when there are problems.

I did as you've said, I checked the voltage after I had a problem. But the voltage is correct 227 volt, and the earth measurement of the same inlet is 227 ... But it still gives me "power fault" when I plug it!!!

Each EVSE has a functional ground fault interrupter in it. You may know, but a ground fault is when some of the applied current does not return properly...IOW, it leaks to ground somehow. Whatever current goes out one power pin must return on the other one, or there's a fault...that current leaks to ground, and, it could go through you. Why this would happen only at night would be tricky to figure out.

I'd double-check that the receptacle where the EVSE is plugged in has all of it's leads tight, clean (no corrosion), and correctly installed with no stray strands anywhere. Then, ensure that when you plug the thing in, there is some (fairly significant) resistance. When a receptacle gets old, the repeated insertion/removal/heating/cooling causes the socket to lose tension, and that can make a poor connection. Look for moisture intrusion. Try plugging it into a different receptacle somewhere.

Updates... I checked the car at a repair shop using the computer, and its all good. He said the report showed a problem with the earth at the house. So I double checked and nothing is wrong there. How can an earthing be good during the day then get faulty at 4:30 out of nowhere?!
Thought it would be an unstable voltage, and got myself a stabilizer, but still "power fault" still shows :cry: ... I love my car so much, but this problem is making me so frustrated.. Help!!!

How did you check the earth ground? The receptacle might be fine, but that wire could go lots of places with potentially lots of connections all the way back to the power pole and/or a ground stake. Depending on where you are in Jordan, it can be hard to get a good ground point. It's easier if the ground is damp and not sandy. That being said, a typical GFCI doesn't need a ground point to work, but the EVSE may for additional safety purposes.

One thing to check is if the voltage reading is the same from each hot lead to the ground point verses across the two hot leads.

I would agree with everything you've said.. But if that was a problem, how would it be charging right now from 7:30 am, and its now nearly 9 am... And nothing is going wrong. While I tried charging it at 5:30 pm yesterday, using the same receptacle , but gave me "power fault" ... I tend to believe right now that there is a problem with electricity at about 5 pm... I can't find any other excuse for this !!!

When the voltage drops, the amperage tends to go up so that the same amount of power is delivered, all other things being equal. Amperage increases tend to heat things more than voltage does, and changes in resistance can be tricky to determine the end result. It might also be that the frequency changes...the night crew at the power generation station may not be as attentive to things. Admittedly this was from a long time ago, but I had a clock that used the power supply frequency to calculate the time. It had a switch for 50/60Hz. During the week, the clock by Friday was spot on...then, over the weekend, it gradually lost time, then come Monday, started to slowly recover. Yes, this was not in Jordan (it was in Germany), but the same thing could be going on in Jordan when the day crew goes home...the power regulation, coupled with the increased loads of nighttime/heating/people home, could vary from the norm so that daytime use things worked, then started to go to crap come the evening. I do not know how fussy the i3's and the EVSE's power supply/monitoring logic is, so this is only speculation. FWIW, rarely, I'll get a power fault, but it tends to happen if there is heavy rain. My EVSE is pretty smart, and often, after a delay, it resets itself, and the charge continues. On only a few times over 3+years have I had to power cycle the EVSE to get things to return to normal. It may have occurred when there was a momentary power outage, but I can't say for sure.

When the problem is occurring, I'd try to plug into a different circuit to see if things work then. Or, if you can borrow one, swap EVSE's to see if a different one works on the same receptacle.

I can't thank you enough for helping me through this. It is in fact due to unstable voltage, as it drops at night and gets back during the day. That is the final answer after checking everything you've mentioned here.. The stabilizer worked just fine this evening, but it did in fact stop few times, but that was okay. I just had to keep checking on it. I'm just glad that the problem is not from the car, charger, or receptacle. Government's unstable electricity is out of my hand lol... This would be the first time that I would be looking forward to summer time.
Just one last question... If the charger gets to "power fault" while I'm asleep, would it cause any problem if it stayed like this until I've checked on it in the morning? I mean staying at fault for a long time!

At least as I understand it, no, it would not 'hurt' anything if the thing stayed on with an indicated power fault...it stops charging when that happens so nothing would burn up the car, and unless the EVSE was defective, or damaged by say a spike, it would survive. Some of them can do an internal reset on their own if the power returns to normal, some need to be either unplugged or the power switch feeding them (that might be a circuit breaker) cycled. The down side is the car may not be fully charged when you think it should be.

Back