Some pre-purchase questions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danix

Last time around when shopping, I liked the i3, but the lease rates were more than double those for the Fiat 500e, so I went with the latter.
That's still the case, but now that my lease is almost up, I'm again exploring all options. I've got 2ish months left, but may benefit from getting something before my lease is up, so I'm doing some research.

I may go with a CPO i3, but depending on rebates, a new one may make more sense.
So, I have some questions I haven't found answered in my search of the forum.

1) How much better is the Harmon Kardon upgraded sound system, especially on the 2017s? Big difference, little difference?
2) What are the "must have" packages on the i3? For example, is the parking package a must since rear visibility is somewhat compromised?
3) If you don't need the safety net of the REX, my thinking is that the BEV version is better - cheaper, lighter, less maintenance, longer term HOV sticker (in CA).
4) On my 500e, the optional sunroof is actually useful, since to save range I rarely use climate control, and cracking the sunroof gives me enough ventilation to keep the windshield from fogging up most of the time. How useful is the sunroof on the i3?

Thanks in advance.

1. It depends on what you listen to most of the time...if talk news shows, the difference would be mostly wasted. IF music, the HK is probably worth it. I've not read of any differences in the system since it first came out.
2. I didn't think it would be all that useful, but find the adaptive cruise control quite useful. Personally, I don't bend that well, and the rear-view camera is essential, but I think that's now standard without a package (or maybe it was for the 2018 MY?). I like comfort access since, essentially, you never need to take the fob out of your pocket unless you want to open the doors for someone else as you walk up to the car.
3. My typical day does not stress the BEV, so I saw no reason for the extra expense, weight, and service required on the REx. Your results may differ, and while not my first choice, with the REx, you might be able to use it as your only car. To me, having to stop essentially every hour or so to refill the tank is not something I want to do.
4. Can't comment...personally, I rarely use it on my other car. It tends to be either too hot and humid, or cold, so the few times when it's dry and pleasant, I could easily do without it. It does take up some headroom, which is another issue for me, so I avoid them when possible.

danix said:
Thanks Jim. One more - how much of a ride difference is there with the 20" vs the 19" wheels?
Mine has the 19", so the only comment I can make on the 20" is that people have reported that the ride is stiffer. It's something you'd probably need to evaluate yourself. FWIW, if you need/want winter tires, they're only available on the 19".

IMHO, if you have the staggered tire setup, I don't think handling wise, you'd notice much difference between the 19" all-seasons and 20" summer tire, but it is there. Throw in the stiffer ride on the 20", and for this car's intended use, I wouldn't pay extra for it. Some obsess over the look, and demand them. Whatever suits you best.

For what it's worth, after 3 years on the 20" wheels, 19"ers on the new BEV we just picked up provide a less harsh ride, given the i3's short wheel base and bouncy ride on fwys I think they are a better option.
Re the sun roof, the single piece of glass slides outside the roof and the two "windows" are over the front seats only so dont seem to impact headroom very much if at all.

It seems that the headliner is thicker when the sunroof is installed. Now, if you sit where your head is in the opening...the sky's the limit!

danix said:
2) What are the "must have" packages on the i3? For example, is the parking package a must since rear visibility is somewhat compromised?

I think it heavily depends on your parking commons situations. I live in Italy, Rome, and parking is a nightmare so rear sensors and rear camera are a must to squeeze the car in any available spot altough the rear view is not that bad. The automatic parallel parking feature that comes with the package is cool and it acutally does not need a lot of extra room to be used but I've not used that much.

Parking sounds useful.
The small screen on the base navigation unit bothers me, so the tech package seems nice, but I realize that most of the time I'll be navigating with Waze on my phone vs the stock nav, so it doesn't seem like a must have.

The actual self-parking routine is somewhat slow, but normally works. The backup camera and PDC sensors front/rear are quite useful, as it's hard to tell where each end is exactly, but I think on the newest MY, the backup camera is 'standard'. Personally, I'd not want a new car without the rear view camera, and the larger the display, the better. The professional nav has some additional features not available on the business version. The nav system will also give you a graphical display of your range, which can be useful if you're going further than just a local trip.

mine has almost all options.......the onces I use: sunroof, HK (i like good sound) , seat heating (fast and nice in winter), fast charging (we can AC fast charge at home and office),..... rest sometimes, but not needed at all if you can park a car (it is small so very easy) and rarely use highways.

Back