trip from Barcelona to Valencia

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deetan

Hi.

Sorry for jumping in, but i can't solve this problem anywhere else.
I'm planning my vacation in Spain and noticed that price for renting BMW i3 is almost the same as price for renting some other "standard" car, for example VW Golf. So, why not, i think it's worth trying, but: I'm planning to have trip from Barcelona to Valencia, then maybe Madrid and back to Barcelona. The distance from Barcelona to Valencia is something like 300 km, so i have doubts that i will get there easily.
May i ask you - according to plugshare.com website - there are several ev charging stations, like BP with CHAdeMO adapters, will I be able to travel without any major problems there? Also, how much time it will take to charge i3 in some "standard" ev charging station in Europe?
i will have 4 months old baby traveling with me, so i'm not sure that i could waste much time waiting for car to be charged.
Thanks in advance!

The i3's sold in most of the world do not use CHADeMo DC fast charging, but (most of them) do have a CCS DC fast charging capability. You'd want to ask if the car has that. If it has the CCS input, you can get about 80% in about 30-minutes. You can get a full charge on an acv EVSE unit in about 4.5-hours (assuming it's nearly empty when you start...shorter times to top off). But, note, not all units out there can provide the maximum the i3 can handle. The i3 can handle up to about 7.4Kw on an EVSE, but up to 50Kw with a CCS unit...again, not all of them are capable of providing that maximum value.

Assuming you rent a REx version of the i3, and it's at least a 2017, it will have the larger battery pack. If it's an older one, it will have a smaller battery.

Your maximum range will vary by how you drive it and the ambient temperature...the colder it is, or the faster you drive, the faster you use up charge, and cold will also limit it because the batteries become less efficient.

With baby why you consider to use not reaible car BMW I 3 rent the biggest Mercedes for safety of your BABY don’t be cheap to be electric jerk I m an owner of I 3 I USA driving daily great car

Back