First time BMW i3 after Nissan Leaf. First day 160 mi

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kallisti5

Thought I would share my BMW i3 experience.

Making a big move from Houston to Austin (160+ mile trip). My beloved 2014 2-year owned Leaf wouldn't make the trip without stopping at RV Parks to charge for 4+ hours (or getting it hauled for several hundred dollars). Instead of having it hauled, I found a used just-off-lease 2015 BMW i3 with REx for a fair(ish) price and traded the LEAF in.

I was able to buy it, and code it using BimmerCode on the same day before heading out (enlarge the tank, re-add hold @ 75%). After topping up at an EVgo, and flipping on the REx at 75%, it was a smooth + comfortable drive from Houston to Austin with several gassy fill-ups along the way at ~70-75mph. Ended the 160 miles with 46% or so charge.

Random thoughts on the i3 after being a long-term daily-driver of a Leaf:

* The REx is amazing and makes the car stand out in the EV market while making sure it remains a "real" EV.
* Had issues with the car refusing to open the fuel tank at the 50% mark... had to pull the manual release a few times.
* Hold at 75% was *essential* to a smooth trip between Austin and Houston (there are 0 EVSE's in-between)

I completely love my i3, while I never had range anxiety in the Leaf, you still had to carefully balance your expectations of distance. The i3 gives you all the pure-EV benefits while giving you the realistic occasional long-trip.

I do think BMW shot themselves in the foot handicapping the i3 by disabling the REx hold and artificially reducing the tank size.
I know they did it to preserve their all-electric tax credits, but I would have been a *lot* less comfortable with only 6% battery and limited power at 3%... the coding was essential to a stress-free trip.

Probably best to have the fuel tank pressure system checked. Ours is a BEV, so I don't know the exact description of what can fail that prevents the fuel door from opening. The emergency cable that opens the fuel door is plastic (really, BMW?!) and is easy to break if pulled too hard or maybe too often. Probably best to deal with this problem to avoid suddenly having less (insufficient?) range because the fuel door won't open and the cable breaks.

Before the computer will allow the filler cap to be removed, it must sense that it has relieved the pressure. FWIW, it pressurizes the system. IF that vent gets clogged, the pressure may not drop very fast or at all, and then, the only way is to use the emergency release. The signal to the latch (I think?) could, in theory, be bad or jammed.

It took a few people at BMW to tell me the scoop on the gas release.
You have to hold the button and watch the dash. You'll see a message on the bottom that gives pressure status. 90%, 75%, 25%... OK to open.

If you just press the button "normally", it doesn't have a chance to relieve the pressure and the flap won't pop.

Good Luck, and congrats!!!!!

graememwl said:
You have to hold the button and watch the dash. You'll see a message on the bottom that gives pressure status. 90%, 75%, 25%... OK to open.

If you just press the button "normally", it doesn't have a chance to relieve the pressure and the flap won't pop.
Thank you!

Bob Wilson

graememwl said:

Good Luck, and congrats!!!!!

Thanks for that info, I was having an issue getting the door open as well, this is great info.

Back