Range Estimates Inflated or Inaccurate

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewi3

I've had my 2017 i3 BEV for a little over a month. The only bimmercode modification I did was to default to the EcoPro mode on start up. Since then, I've noticed my estimated ranges are seemingly inflated.

Albeit, I had quite optimal conditions in 60 deg Southern California weather, no AC, it seems farfetched.

Battery: 97%
EcoPro mode: 138 miles
EcoPro+ mode: 152 miles

I've had other instances where even with 75% charge its telling me I have 100 mile range. Then, precipitously when I park and get back int he vehicle that number will drop to the 70 mile range.

Anyone else having inflated or unpredictable numbers?
Could it be the Bimmercode?

First of all, welcome to the forum.
Search thru this and other forums and you will see discussions on this. You'll see the term GOM. It stands for Guess-O-Meter, which is your estimated range. Bottom line, estimated range is, well, an estimate. Actual will depend on temperature, wind, uphill/downhill driving, what accessories you're using, driving style, etc. It has nothing to do with the bimmercode app or coding. As they say, YMMV :)

The estimates are based on your last approximately 18-miles of driving. It assumes your next driving will exactly match those parameters. That may or may not be the case. I've had mine 'stick' on the same estimated range for over 10-miles of driving because what I was doing then was less stressful than what had happened before.

Just like an ICE that tells you the estimated range to empty, it can be way off. For example, after cruising along the interstate for a few hundred miles in my ICE, it might think I could go another 300-miles, but then, most of the driving ends up being stop and go in city traffic...the estimate quickly changes.

On the EV, heating/cooling, and maximum speed along with long grades will radically affect your overall range to empty, especially on the REx which can only heat the cabin using resistance heating verses the BEV's heat pump (which is closer to the use of ac verses resistance heating). An ICE isn't affected by heating loads (other than the fan), because heating the cabin is all wasted heat, and doesn't require the use of 'dedicated' fuel (battery power).

FWIW, if you use the nav and put in a destination, the car will then use the road characteristics (elevation changes, speed limits, etc.) to calculate how far you can go. Otherwise, it has no idea of where and how you might drive the thing.

Back