i3 REX unit - Fuel surge valve

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milam

My i3 is in the shop for the fourth time.

They are telling me, that I overfill the tank, when I fuel up.

Does anyone have an insight into this situation?
Or had a similar problem?

Just picked up the i3 from the dealer.

All fixed.

it appears that the software updates helped the car's performance.

I will let you know.

It now is a bit faster, with more range.

Milam said:
it appears that the software updates helped the car's performance.

I will let you know.

It now is a bit faster, with more range.
A software update can delete the driving history upon which range estimates are calculated. Many i3 owners have reported a greater range estimate (not to be confused with actual greater range) after a software update only to report after having driven a while that their range estimates had returned to their previous values.

I have not read previously that any software update has actually made an i3 "a bit faster". it is likely that BMW made all new i3's as fast as possible while maintaining efficiency, so it seems unlikely that a software update would make an i3 faster and just as efficient (i.e., no actual range loss).

The motor control logic does adjust how long and at what level of power the motor gets. While it is rated at 170Hp, you cannot use all of that constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the new i3s gets its additional power from just increasing the maximum current allowed into the same motor. It's my understanding that they do allow it to run faster (thus the higher max speed). They might have changed the bearings...don't really know, but there are differences in the control logic. But, as mentioned, uploading new firmware does purge the history files, and the range estimates tend to be less attuned to your individual style, at least for awhile until that history can be rebuilt.

Update: 24 hrs after getting a new Fuel Surge Valve and updated software.

Apparently, I damaged the valve by overfilling the fuel tank on the REX unit.
Fill slowly and stop when it clicks off.

They fixed it under warranty with no problems. I will try to do a better job of fueling.

Software update, etc. They updated the software for the airbag and the computer controller.
No comment on the airbag. Hopefully, will never need it.

The other update did some nice things.

i believe that the car is now quicker. I cannot quantify it.
It just feels better.

Secondly, it is now indicating additional range.
It was cool today, Was indicating 135 mile range on battery only.
I have never run out of batter. The REX unit has never been
needed. Just glad that it is there.

The car is now better than it was.

Back