Can coding corrupt the i3's operating system?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkNo

Can coding with the Bimmercode app or DVD in Motion to say 'Hold State Of Charge' corrupt the i3's operating system? In other words, do these solutions introduce new code into the operating system and hence have the potential to cause problems, or is it the electronic equivalent of moving a toggle switch to another position without introducing any code?

So, is coding like 'practicing safe sex', or is it not?

"Coding" is an inaccurate description of the process which merely changes the values of various parameters that the system software reads. The values of these parameters affect the behavior of the system software, but the system software itself is not changed and new executable code is not installed.

So the coding process cannot corrupt the software that reads the parameters whose values have been changed.

Thanks - that makes sense. So using the term 'coding' for this activity is inaccurate and confusing as Bimmercode is simply changing existing settings and not introducing any new code.

There are probably thousands of configuration switches in any particular BMW's software build. I think some of this is so the same, or very similar software can be used on multiple vehicles, saving money and expanding the flexibility so the same vehicle can be loaded with the same software for different markets, and then programmed for that market.

FWIW, setting some values, while they won't damage the car, can make the car try to do things it can't or shouldn't. IOW, you do need some restraint when setting values unless you know what they do! Luckily, the programs allow you to save the original setup, and you can go back, if you mess up.

Thanks - now I have a better understanding of what 'coding an i3' means - changing configurable switches.

The only changes that interest me are removing the legal disclaimer screen at start-up, and much more importantly, restoring the 'Hold State Of Charge' to 75%. Otherwise the REX is truly hamstrung!

To be on the extra cautious side, just change one thing...verify it does what you want, and if it doesn't, restore the original. Many of the things are pretty basic, and doing multiple things aren't an issue once you get the hang of it.

Note, some things require more than one item to be changed to complete the functionality. Some will likely have no effect...probably just does a return from that subroutine if the hardware or function isn't valid.

None of these actually change the operating code...think of them as a switch, sometimes one with multiple positions that you are flipping.

The operating system looks at the switch position to decide which path it needs to take. If you go into expert mode, you can flip some you probably shouldn't (talking Bimmercode app). The core operating system isn't being changed.

I am just curious if I restore the factory default settings in the car idrive, would all the coded parameters also be reset to original settings? If yes it would be good to reset everything back in case I feel the system is screwed up by misusing the coding app.

So it sounds like using the DVD in Motion solution to 'coding' HSOC would be a little safer (and idiot proof) that using the Bimmercode App as this approach could potentially cause problems if you don't do it right.

FWIW, yes, that's true, but, the Bimmercode app is pretty straightforward as long as you avoid expert mode until you have a better understanding of what things do. And, the app can do lots more neat things in the process.

I need a little help. I bought a CPO 2014 BMW i3 a couple of weeks ago. LOVE IT!! The only issue is I want to reset the REX to turn on the Hold State of Charge. I'm looking at the BIMMERCODE app, and I need to know which V-gate WiFi unit to buy. Is the OBD 2 the right one? Also, if you adjust this code, will the car still turn on the REX at 7.5% as it does now? Thanks for any help.

NurseGus said:
I'm looking at the BIMMERCODE app, and I need to know which V-gate WiFi unit to buy. Is the OBD 2 the right one?
This or this would work. I think WiFi versions might be more reliable than Bluetooth versions.

NurseGus said:
Also, if you adjust this code, will the car still turn on the REX at 7.5% as it does now?
Yes.

Thank you guys SOO much!! I've had BMW motorcycles for years ( I guess I still have one in the trunk) and the forums for those bikes were just this great. I guess it's just a BMW thing. I just ordered the WiFi from the 'link to Amazon' from the BIMMERCODE website and should have it Friday. Then, if I understand correctly, I just download and pay for the BIMMERCODE app, plug in the OBD...set the wifi settings on my phone....launch the BIMMERCODE app and I'm in. Is the actual code for the HSOC obvious or some German phrasing?

Suggest you download the app and play with it in demo mode. There are two operational modes...simple, expert. Many of the things people want to do are in the simple (they may not call it that!) mode. Doing things in the expert mode may require some knowledge of German or a decode sheet, but I don't think for that, you'll need it. You need to pay to open up the 'real' mode, but you'll have an idea playing around with it in demo.

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but I could not find it... when you change the point at which the REX kicks in, can you change it back to 7% with the push of a button, or do you have to change the coding parameters every time? I would keep it at 7% most of the time, but wish to be able to change back and forth easily.

JohnKelly said:
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but I could not find it... when you change the point at which the REX kicks in, can you change it back to 7% with the push of a button, or do you have to change the coding parameters every time? I would keep it at 7% most of the time, but wish to be able to change back and forth easily.

It is a temporary setting. It will revert back as soon as you turn off your car, or tell the car to turn off HSOC.

Thanks again for all the help earlier in the week. My VGate I Car II came this morning before 10.

I used the link in the Bimmercode.com site to link to a retailer on Amazon that was actually in the US. ( Kentucky). There are several listed for sell on Amazon, but be sure and check the delivery date. The 'first one in the search' was the cheapest, but delivery date was 5/22. I got this one in 2 days. As suggested in one of the threads, I downloaded the BimmerCode app to my IOS and fiddled with it for a bit, to be sure I knew which function ( i only wanted one) to pick.

A couple of things I'll share just in case any of you are as hesitant about doing this as i was. I have the only level 2 charger in 9 counties, and 96 miles. It was a necessity for me to activate the HSOC just so I could actually drive it in towns on total electric, and use the Hold State of Charge for the highway trips.

First, the software that comes with the OBD/V Gate doesn't have to be installed on your phone. Also, it is a TIGHT fit in the OBD slot on your i3, and you will have to apply gentle pressure for it to slide all the way in. The light on the device with come on when it's plugged in completely.

Secondly, go ahead and purchase the BimmerCode App. it's 26 dollars and it will save you having to stop midway of the coding to disconnect from the V Gate, connect to purchase, and then go back in.

Thirdly, make sure you reset your phones 'go to sleep' to at least 3 minutes.

To use, just plug the V Gate into the OBD. Turn on the I3. Go to your phone settings to WIFI ( that's the one I got) and find the new Vlink offering. Turn it on, no passcode needed. Open the BimmerCode app, and select connect. It will then begin to read your ECU, acknowledge the VIN, and then display the options you have available. Go to HEADUNIT, and scroll down to Range Extender menu. It should say 'not active'. Open that section and activate. Go back one step and in the top right hand corner of your screen you will see CODE. Select it and you will get a disclaimer about the possible laws you are breaking and safety issues ....and are you SURE you want to do this. Be brave here, and say yes. It will then start the process of activating the sleeping menu.

It took about 3 minutes total, and even though you will see a disclaimer at some point that asks if you have enough battery life of your phone to sustain and not break the connection during the process....I used 2%. You'll get a message Coding complete. Close the app. Turn off your car. Remove the V Gate. For good measure I closed and locked my car, got a cup of coffee and came back.

Turn on your car, go to Menu, go to Settings, you now have a new option called Range Extender. Open it and you'll see the Hold State of Charge page, just like our European counterparts. While here, go ahead and assign one of the dash board buttons ( 1-8) and then all you have to do it hit it to turn it on or off.

The only thing this didn't do was show the actual amount of fuel left in the tank. US models read 1.9 gallons, where there is actually 2.4 gallons. If I figure this part out, I"ll repost it.

Thanks to all that helped me get this started. I hope it's not been too lengthy. If I can help anyone get this feature turned on, please let me know.

Nurse Gus

NurseGus said:
Turn on your car, go to Menu, go to Settings, you now have a new option called Range Extender. Open it and you'll see the Hold State of Charge page, just like our European counterparts.
Some have been confused when this new option is inactive (i.e., can't be selected). That's true if the battery pack's charge level is >75% which is the upper charge level limit for HSOC functionality. When the charge level has dropped below 75%, HSOC will be activated and can be selected.

NurseGus said:
The only thing this didn't do was show the actual amount of fuel left in the tank. US models read 1.9 gallons, where there is actually 2.4 gallons. If I figure this part out, I"ll repost it.
To increase the usable gasoline amount from 1.9 gallons, another BimmerCode change must be made. I have a BEV, so I can't point you to the exact change, but it's probably pretty obvious. I believe value of the parameter that controls the usable fuel tank capacity must be increased to 8.5 or maybe 9.0 liters.

Back