Broken mounts? what that whine?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdjuju

So today i noticed a new Loud whining sound coming from the passenger side rear of the car. Odd, never noticed that. Yes it’s electric but I’ve put 10k on it and didn’t notice til now? Car is a CPO 14 Rex with 45k mi total

Went to back up my driveway and heard a loud ‘click’ as I started to reverse. Took a moment to roll back/ forward and ‘rock’ the car a bit. Click. Click. Click. Oh boy.

Next, on smooth road at 35mph I played with the throttle. Every time I accelerated I felt and heard a ‘clonk’ as the drivetrain seemingly took up slack.

This doesn’t sound good, folks. Booked service for Monday (the soonest)

Yes my wheel nuts are tight. Anyone had this? I recall seeing another CPO 14 I drove with extensive service related to motor mounts. Is this a common issue? Sounds like my old race car before the axle let go.

bdjuju said:
I recall seeing another CPO 14 I drove with extensive service related to motor mounts. Is this a common issue?
It's common enough that BMW replaced the motor mount bolt with a stronger one at no charge under a service campaign. But even some of the stronger bolts have broken. BMW designed an improved motor mount for later i3's. BMW should replace all the old motor mounts with this improved version, but it has so far not done so, and by now, is probably unlikely to do so.

I had the motor mount break and it was pretty dramatic. It took two weeks to repair mostly because a coolant pipe had to come from Germany.

Bob Wilson

Indeed that was the problem. I broke the motor mount bolts, AC line & damaged both halfshafts. It was fixed in a week & I received the new motor mount design.
yOI8dct.jpg

I understand the new mount in the background is the replacement for the old plastic mount, but I am a little confused by the mount in the foreground. Do I understand correctly that it is the mount for the other side of the motor? If so, does it show a broken bolt in the pic or simply a bolt that was screwed in from the other side? I am wondering if the bolt for the mount for the other side (the one in the foreground) is known to break as well.

Thanks in advance.

My 2014 BEV had the clunk sound as well. Motor mounts on both sides were broken. Fortunately nothing else was damaged. My local performance shop did allthe repairs for an extremely reasonable rate.

Back