Question for those who have installed Hub Spacers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBob

Greetings All,

Overall, the i3 is the ideal City Car...though can be squirrelly on the highway, especially over 75 mph and with winds...

I was thinking this could be addressed with a moderate (10 mm?) adjustment to spacing of the wheels with Hub Spacers. This should allow the wheel to sit flush with the fenders.

Those who have installed Hub Spacers, can you share your observations of before and after the installation?

Somethings I would like to know:

- Which hub spacer did you use (size, brand, etc)

- Did you also change your rims/tires?

- Any appreciable difference in range?

- Did you have to make adjustments to the alignment/offset?

- Hows the tire wear? Worst, Better Same?

- How long have you had them installed/miles on them?

- Have you checked them out since installing? - Any noticeable wear to the spacers or to the car itself?

- Any additional notes?

Thanks in Advance!

Hi EVBob

I have also intend to put on hub spacers on my car, and 10mm was my first idea. Since I'm living in Norway and we have a lot of snow I think you will be doing this first. Looking forward to hear more observations

Toalmar said:
Hi EVBob

I have also intend to put on hub spacers on my car, and 10mm was my first idea. Since I'm living in Norway and we have a lot of snow I think you will be doing this first. Looking forward to hear more observations

There was a post on this forum, that went a few steps a head and managed to put on wheels from an i8 with I think 25mm spacers. I probably wouldn't go that extreme, but would love to hear their observations. I would imagine their i3 feels really stable at high speeds...turning maybe not?

The more documented observations/data points the merrier! :D

ChristopherEmmanuel said:
Hi Bob,

Please see following link

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5035

Thank you!

Please keep us posted on your findings!

Some of the twitchiness is a function of trying to minimize the rolling resistance (very little toe-in). Having a tight grip on the steering wheel can be problematic as well. Make sure your tire pressures are proper and minimize any variation side to side. Most cities don't have 75mph sections...the car was optimized for urban commuting. The low center of gravity does help.

Back