App showing doors unlocked when not

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gif

Just a glitch I think but I left the car today and locked it. Happened to be looking at the app later and saw that the doors were showing as unlocked.

So I sent a lock command to the car. Successful but no change in status. Sent it again, again successful but no change in status.

Went out to the car in the car park and all doors, boot and bonnet were shut and locked. App still saying unlocked.

Unlocked car with fob and relocked it. App still saying unlocked.

Unlocked car and got in to switch on and off. As I did so I realised that the car was reporting that one of the rear doors wasn’t fully closed. It was but the sensor obviously hadn’t contacted properly.

Opened and closed it to clear that error and locked the car. App now showing locked.

Just in case anyone is worried their car is unlocked when it isn’t :roll:

If that happens again, note what the app says is the last time the status was updated. Depending on where you are, you may not have reliable 2-way communications, and the status can be old.

As to the rear door latches, there's one at the top and one at the bottom and both need to be latched fully. You won't be able to easily open the door if only one is latched, but the car will know, and the door could pop open during an accident if both are not latched.

The app status was fine and updating. It was the rear door issue that was causing it.

Obviously, I wouldn’t and don’t drive the car with the dashboard error showing but I was surprised that it reported as the doors not being locked.

The car locks fine in this condition and how would you know if the rear door wasn’t latched anyway as the car is off by the time you shut the rear door so there is no warning on the dashboard. There’s also no way I know to get in the car even if the rear door hasn’t latched properly so the car is effectively locked. It doesn’t alarm or anything like that.

Guess it’s just the same sensors that are used in the system to report both the dashboard error and the app locked status.

Back