The range of the i3 may be below par, but it's fit and finish is still the benchmark...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBob

This is from an interview about the Model 3, but the i3 was brought up:
https://youtu.be/CpCrkO1x-Qo?t=656

Those new to the i3 - these guys (Munro & Associates) did a tear down of the i3 when it first came out and found lots of interesting things about it: http://www.leandesign.com/pdf/BMW-i3-Prospectus.pdf

How much range you need verses how much you (think you) want can easily be quite different. BMW chose the range on the i3 for several reasons:
- the majority of people commute in the order of 34-miles RT on a daily basis...close to double that gives a decent buffer on the original one
- while battery energy capacity is getting denser, larger capacity adds both to the costs and weight and the required size to hold everything which dictates other things...the process is a balancing act - get better with one factor, you lose on another. The last battery update was heavier, but the same volume...the next one may need more volume as well, affecting the weight, size, and overall efficiency. Increasing weight tends to decrease efficiency...it takes more energy to start to move the vehicle and to climb grades, it can also increase drag as you then need larger tires to hold everything up (one reason the i3s is less efficient is because of the tires on it).

Many people that bought their i3 with the REx, have only used it to test that it works over years of ownership. AT least a few have replaced their Rex with a BEV when their lease ran out because they now realize they didn't really need it. There's a learning curve to feel comfortable with new tech, and the dealerships are not really very good at explaining, and the commission on the higher cost REx version probably deters them from pushing the BEV as much. Knowledge is king.

When the next generation of batteries make it to full scale production, higher range will be both more economical, and still not require major increases in volume or weight. It may be another 3-4 years before we see a major improvement, and prior to that, expect incremental gains.

BMW i3......I have seen and driven several other ev´s but enginering, interior and build quality.....bmw did a great job, love it and nothing comes close. And we probably will not see such a unique car for the next 10 years (it was a no cost spared BMW excercise for their first EV).

Only one thing they messed up .... the REX (they should have designed it from scratch), but agree - I almost never use it. I hope they keep it in production for a long time. I hope we can get batteries upgraded (even after market)....... would keep it ..... new battery in and REX out.

Rumor has it that the REx was added by marketing...the engineering community didn't see the need for it on a city car. IMHO, as a result, it didn't get as much engineering effort as it would have otherwise.

Sandi Munro when discussing the Model 3 teardown listed the i3 as the best build quality of any of the hundreds of cars they've torn down. He wouldn't say where the Model 3 sat except to say it was in the lower half...he was being generous and I feel did not want to be sued...sounded like it probably was at the bottom of their list. This is in contrast with good old Elon stating that the Model 3 was the best ever. Maybe, if they get their act together, but not from what's going out the door now.

I have a hard time believing the REx was an afterthought. The REx as a plug-in Hybrid has the most all electric range of any plug-in Hybrid, by a factor of 2X. For me that's huge. Would I like 200-300 miles of electric range? Sure, but I would only use it 2-3 times a year.

Exactly, Rex was not an afterthought, and that is clear in how it is cleanly designed into the car, even the BEV has a large void where it should be located.

The Rex with the Hold mode as originally designed is incredibly useful for regional travel. I am making a 500 mile round trip this weekend and it will be less inconvenient than charging, even on a supercharger. Sure it might be several 3 min gas stops, still less time than 2 supercharger stops.

Back