I learned something today about my i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graememwl

2015 i3 Rex, owned since Jan '18.
On my commute this morning, I was going with the flow of (busy Bay Area) traffic going up quite a steep hill, when all of a sudden I ended up with clear road all around. Once I got over the shock of actually having clear road, I attempted to accelerate up the hill. Nothing happened, I just kept a constant speed. What? I pushed a little harder on the the throttle, still nothing. Still a constant speed. Pushed a little harder, the car lurched a bit then accelerated. Wow, that wasn't good.
I looked at the dash to check there were no warning messages and noticed I was in Eco Pro+ mode. Doh!
The 56 mph limit was why I didn't accelerate originally. However, if you really push the throttle this overrides the limiter and you can drive as fast as you want. I'm sure this is in the manual somewhere, but this was the first time I realized the 56 mph is a "soft" limit.

Happy eMotoring :)

Yes, the "soft" limit can be overridden if you basically floor it. I've never tried it, but I too recently discovered that maybe just a few days ago somewhere on one of the forums. Thanks for the heads up. This isn't something that's publicized much. Keep those tips coming.

I find it useful to read the owner's manual every couple of years or so to reinforce what I think I know, and pick up on things I didn't. On a new one, I try to read it when I first get the car, and then a few months later...after that, the interval gets longer. Especially with highly computerized vehicles like the i3, there's huge amounts of things that can be done, and really hard to remember it all. We probably only use 30% or so of the features in the vehicle. SOme of them are pretty esoteric, some can make life a lot easier, but only if you know about them and practice a little.

A for example...did you know that the memory buttons are not only for radio stations?

Back