Best Time Shift charging solution for i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

I have Time of Use electricity variable rate , and like to understand , what would be the best solution for this.
The i3 software is very basic. My issues
1) does not have the weekday and weekend Time programming options
2) If set on Time of Use ( ToU) . the car will not charge outside of home. You have to change each time manually in the settings. Needless to say , sometimes i end up without charging outside, or leave ToU off at my home.

I understand the chevy Spark will simply override the ToU setting , if UNPLUGGED and plugged again quickly. The bolt used GPS to identify the house vs outside of home charging.

I am also participating in the bmw chageforward program, and they do have once remotely disabled my ToU option , which i found out accidentally after few days and also they have changed my ToU time also.

Do i need to buy the juice box pro , to solve my problems ? Options are few at good price.
I already have the regular juice box, and the very thick cable, makes for poor cable management and is not exactly making me a fan of it.

Many of the EVSEs will do a restart when power is applied. If you have some home automation stuff, this device could be wired to supply power to your EVSE, and you could control it's on/off via your home automation system - any of them that handles Z-wave. I'm sure there are others out there, but this one came up first in a quick search https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Controller-Automation-Control-Leviton/dp/B019WTM3RM?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ2F6RDUSIYCWQMFQ&tag=sa-sym-new-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B019WTM3RM

You'd want to verify your EVSE will reconnect with the car, and you could easily check that by plugging it in, verify it is charging, then flip the circuit breaker off. Give it a moment, then turn it back on to check that the EVSE then starts to charge the car again.

EVMan said:
Do i need to buy the juice box pro , to solve my problems ? Options are few at good price.
I already have the regular juice box, and the very thick cable, makes for poor cable management and is not exactly making me a fan of it.

I have a Juicebox Pro and I'm pretty happy with it. I have it installed in my garage and I normally park on a driveway outside of the garage. It would be nice to have a better cable management holder supplied with the EVSE.

Since I don't have TOU, I don't bother using the JBPro timed charge feature, but the cable is pretty flexible and the charge times are perfect: plug in at night and I always have a full charge in the morning.

Back