Abnormal Squeaky Brakes

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3Houston

My car is two years old and the brake squeak abnormally when stopping the car at low speed(no squeak over 5 mph) .

Any clues whats going on ?

The brakes on our 2014 BEV have always made a scrunching sound when applied at a very slow speed. This sound is most obvious when descending a parking garage ramp that is backed up with traffic requiring repeated stops on a downslope from very low speeds. I have no idea what causes this, but it hasn't bothered me enough to deal with it. It could be due to the roughness of our brake disks due to surface rust.

Does this seem similar to what you are experiencing?

Yes! Every morning on my sloped driveway. Since I backup and have to brake more than once (stop and look for people, cars) it just frustrating to hear that sound.

I will look for rust.

When you're out on the highway and nobody is behind you and it's safe, do a couple of emergency stops as short as you can. That will tend to burnish the brake rotors, and you'll likely find the noise goes away for at least a little while. With the hot, humid area around Houston, since the brakes aren't really used much with the strong regen, the brake rotor gets wet, and then sits...a good recipe for rust to form. Even on my ICE with no regen, if it sits outside during a rainstorm, the rotors will be noisy for the first stop or two. Maybe a choice by BMW as to the type of steel they use, but it seems to be consistent between the two I own.

Back