Electrify America vs BMW i3-REx

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

August 1, I drove to Manchester TN to try the new Electrify American (VW diesel penalty) charging station. It was awkward but after about 15-20 minuets, I was able to get a charge started. So I took a break and came back to find it had stopped at about 44%. I restarted it and completed the charge but there were a lot of aborted starts. Regardless, I got home and called to check on the credit card charges. They only charged for the second half and took my report.

I still needed to know if I could use it reliability so I drove there this morning, August 24:
EV_USA_010.jpg

EV_USA_020.jpg

I started with the same station I'd used before and no luck. So I called the support number. An hour later, we had tried each of the four chargers, multiple times, including support doing a remote reset. There were several times when they reported "Payment accepted" only to have it stop within 10 seconds. The worst was this error message:
EV_USA_030.jpg

So I pointed to Huntsville and the REx carried me home. There I tested the CCS, fast DC charger with a Nissan unit and it worked. I called Electrify America to let them know my car is OK. They plan to call me when their technician resolves the problem(s).

Bob Wilson

It looks like Electrify America has 9 stations operational:
EV_USA_050.jpg

If possible, please visit one near you and test CCS charging. This will give us a clue if there is a problem between our BMW i3 and Electrify America stations.

LATE: "Mark BMW i3" reports a charge at the Stratford Square station. This suggests it is a problem specific to the Manchester TN station.

Bob Wilson

Back