Small software issues , but daily inconvenience.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

While i like driving and enjoy my i3 since past 2 years, but there are 2-3 small things which quite often, still bug me big time, , and i wish there was a solution. I find these behavior un- natural , and have still not adjusted to the way , the car wants me to adjust.

1) I have a habit of turning the car ON ASAP, as I enter it, before i close the door. It may be sometimes, due to rare seat occupants, which prevent me from closing the door initially or , just desire to make the Bluetooth connect to my phone ASAP and turn ON AC.
Problem: I don’t understand why, but closing the door , causes the car to turn back off. I cant think of a reason, why closing the door with the occupant inside , should turn the car off

Can we do anything, so when we enter the car and close the door, the car does not shut off ?

2) Lock unlock acknowledgment
Yes , some time i forget that i locked the car as soon as i stepped out, and go back to at visual range of car to double check, and try to lock it again. Getting older .

Close to 10-20% of the time , the car fails to give acknowledge the remote lock press ( both visual lights and Audio (if enabled). I mean if the acknowledgement does not happen , the acknowledgement will only happen in the next trip.

The only way to be sure is look at the lock lever and hear the click sound. This requires you to be in a meter of the car, and fails to serve the purpose of the remote lock.

The problem is compounded, by the fact the car will not acknowledge anyway , if its already locked.
So , if I am 10 meters away , there is no way to be sure if the remote is not working and teh car is still unlocked , or the car is already locked.

The only solution left to me is to first unlock the car and then lock it. And if I dont hear and see anything , then goto the car back physically to see the state of lock.

Acknowledgement of lock key pressed , is like the most basic of all things in any remote lock request.
No Acknowledgement = car is still unlocked , , your distance may be too much with the radio interface
No Acknowledgement = Car got locked already
I am still struggling with this issue after 2 years

Any help to solve this issue , will be really appreciated , as I am still not adjusted to this.

3) Opening the windows.
If you keep the unlock button pressed , it is supposed to open the windows.
Issue : you need to be like within 2 meters of the car. else it does not work for me. If i am so close , then i might just unlock and then open too , my hot car. I like the feature , but its like unable.
Also the reverse, to close the windows , when lock key is pressed ,does not work.

The BMW app only shows that windows are open. no way to close the windows.

I like the hardware of the car, but the software bugs me. I want to fix these software issues

Re #1...if you wish to exit via the passenger's side door, it will stay on. The car 'assumes' you're done with it if you exit with the fob via the driver's door. An alternative is to just shut if off again, but select activate climate control via the menu that pops up. That will run for about 20-minutes.

#2. Do you have comfort access? If you do, just lock it via the pad on the door as you exit and leave the fob in your pocket. If you're close enough, when you ask the car to lock and it already is, it still activates all of the lock servos, and it's audible. Don't know about the lights and audio alarm as I don't really look, and have the audible alarm confirmation turned off. I've gotten used to comfort access, and would not want a car without it anymore.

#3. Don't know for sure...the US defaults may not do that on the i3. But, it is available, but may need to be coded. I try to just use my phone to start the HVAC before I get to the car, so haven't really tried. It would be handy to be able to close the windows via the app, but from a liability viewpoint, it might be problematic. The car does have pinch protection, so if there's something in the way, you may not actually end up with closed windows, regardless.

Thanks for your advise

#1, My problem is shutting the door , the very first time, causing car to turn off , not opening the door a second time.

2# . So my Lease is supposed to go back , and it does not have comfort access. But my 2nd one, which i own, does have comfort access. So i will start using that, and make it a habit. Thanks

3# I guess US defaults do not have this feature. Hopefully beemer tech will enable this one day

If your seatbelt is attached, the car will stay on when you open the driver's door...if you don't, it will go into park. If you exit the vehicle, it will turn off if the fob goes with you. You could (probably) just leave the fob inside of the car when you get out...without comfort access, you'd already have it out, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Back